What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Vent line Scarf-- forward or backward

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Installed the fuel tank vent while adding the additional internal structure a couple of weeks ago. As I interpreted the instructions, the scarfed edge should face forward. Just saw another local -12 today who had the scarfed face toward the rear. Their reasoning was the same as mine was originally-- the forward-facing scarf would pressurize the tank. But then I decided that was the purpose of the small "air line" attached to the vent line. Scott, can you give a definitive answer-- should the "open _ edge of the vent face forward (into the airstream) or aft.

THANKS!

Wayne 120241/143WM

PS Installed the RV-7 Aileron trim and it seems to be working but the photos I shot are lousy. After more testing I'll post the best of them and a description if it's working OK.

The scarf should face forward. If it faces backward, it will induce a vacuum in the tank. You want the tank lightly pressurized.

Forward or back

Its a fair question as the KAI were not entirely clear on this point. I actually fabricated & assembled the vent lines myself just yesterday and there is just one picture that suggested the forward orientation. Second guessed myself until the positive pressure feature confirmed it.

Dumb Question - KAI

Its a fair question as the KAI were not entirely clear on this point.

Thread drift .... I've seen many references to "the KAI" and I must admit that I have no idea what the KAI is or what the abbreviation means. :confused:

Please enlighten me. Thanks

Previous KAI Correct

And the scarf was forward on the vent of my RV6 and never had an issue, but always wondered. Thanks for the reason!

Back