What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel valve

kevin O

Well Known Member
Third flt in RV 10 two weeks ago_Over airport. Wanted to run a fuel tank dry in order to fill and calibrate. Upon switching the vans fuel valve, the engine was surging and finally failed. Did not try to restart as was in easy position to deadstick.
Upon pulling fuel valve discovered that if valve was slightly off the detent was allowing air to be pulled from empty tank. Have replaced with Andair valve which has much more positive detent position.
I don't like the Vans fuel valve in low wing airplanes. Using in a Glastar with no problems. Just relating my experience if anyone is looking for fuel valve feedback.

If you have your valve set for a 90* turn from tank to tank, then it takes 36* from detent to port the other side. This is almost midway between detents. With the stock handle that came with the valve, this would stand out that you were not in position.

If you replaced the handle with the aftermarket handle, then the set screw could have backed off and allowed the error. Watching the fuel pressure when switching tanks will confurm that you have fuel folw.

There is really no problem with Van's gas valve. Tear the old one apart and look inside. There is nothing to replace except for one "0" ring on the shaft. If you cut one loop off of the spring, it will make the valve work smooth and easy, but still have the detent.

ANDAIR is a good well built valve, it's just not needed and it has many parts.

Additional tests required

Please note of this situation.
From our boost pump manual

"WARNING"
"Airflow Performance and Bendix/Precision fuel injection systems are non-returning systems. In the event that a tank is run dry in flight, an air lock will be formed on the outlet of the pumps. It is possible that the boost pump will not pick up fuel, as the boost pump cannot create enough air pressure to over come the flow divider opening pressure, thus displacing the air and resume pumping fuel. It is not recommended to run a fuel tank dry in flight without adequate testing and proper documentation of the procedure for this operation."

Don

Did everyone order it on the Andair site? Are they faster now? Aircraftspruce doesn't have that model listed but I haven't called to ask if they can get it. Does everyone get the 12" extension? Any other options to get if I order off of Andair site? Thanks all.

Did everyone order it on the Andair site? Are they faster now? Aircraftspruce doesn't have that model listed but I haven't called to ask if they can get it. Does everyone get the 12" extension? Any other options to get if I order off of Andair site? Thanks all.

I got my package from Andair direct. I placed my order at Oshkosh and my package arrived about a week after I got home. They forgot the fuel filter and I emailed them about it. Less than one week later it was at my house.

ACS doesn't stock the valves and special orders the Andair, so I woudl think it would probably take longer to get it from ACS. Andair ships to ACS, then ACS ships to you.

I got the 12" extension when I ordered at OSH. I probably could have used the 6", but I haven't measured it. Since you cut the extension to the exact size you need, I figured it was safer to order the 12" on the initial order. If I ordered a 6" and need a 6.25", that would have been a very expensive mistake. Andair values their extensions greatly. It really depends on where you locate the valve in the tunnel.

Has everyone gone with the 1/4" female connections (like the Van's valve) or gone with male fittings at the valve?

A little bit of logic would say that you'd want male connections on the valve. This way you could get a wrench in the tunnel and turn the nut on the fuel line. The other way around doesn't seem too friendly.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I just want to make sure before I spend a few hundred $$'s.

Thanks,
Phil

Andair

My Andair valve got stuck in a detent and I had to land at an alternate airport because I couldn't switch tanks. When I described the problem to the manufacturer, they suspected that a spring-loaded ball (detent lock) had become dislodged. On the positive side, they provided excellent support and replaced the valve immediately.

The Andair valves seem pretty nice (despite my bad experience), but the price difference is substantial. In the future, I'll probably just stick to stock.

-David

Back