What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel valve location

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I'm trying to decide where to mount our Andair valve. I'm thinking about mounting the valve exactly where the Van's drawing shows their valve. It would be easier and cheaper to mount it flush to the access cover and make longer tubing runs. But my thinking is one; to have the valve lower for fuel pickup and two ; so the the rear scat tubing could pass up by the valve extention and not down close the the fuel lines. My consern is vapor lock, something I know nothing about.
Anyone install theirs this way, or am I wasting my time?
Thanks Ron

Ron,

I mounted mine about an inch forward of the Van's location. I used braided stainless flex line and I was able to route the lines to one side of the tunnel and the scat tube to the other side. I also insulated the scat tube just to help keep any heat inside the duct as much as possible. Vapor lock should not be an issue in this area, I doubt we will reach temps high enough to cause the fuel to boil off and create a vapor lock in the valve. I have the AFP fuel injection and purge valve on my engine so all I have to do is select the left tank and draw cool fuel through the system and back into the right tank.

Ron,

I did not build a -10 so take this for what is worth.

When running your fuel lines, try not to minimize low spots. These can be places for both water and debris to collect. Typically I see this FWF but it is not a good practice anyplace.

Andair Fuel Valve

I am currently working on this area too, but I've decided to fabricate a sub plate that will be just under the center cover and the valve will be mounted to that. I will also be cutting a hole in the cover large enough for the valve's selector plate. This way if I have to service anything in the center tunnel in the future, I will not have to remove the valve in order to remove the cover.

Fuel lines

I just ordered nickel-plate fittings and teflon/ss flexible fuel hose so that I can use autogas with ethanol (have a low compression O-540) and not worry about ethanol corrosion, not that it's really an issue at ~10%, but I'm thinking ahead.

To avoid vapor lock issues I also ordered heat shielding wrap for the fuel lines and will protect the pump/filter from the heat. I intend to put in the Andair valve with the extension so I keep the fuel tubes all down low and cool, and the scat tubes above, and insulation in-between.

Back