What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Valve Indicator Plate

Fuselage kits shipped after about April 2008 (?) have a fuel valve with a "lift then turn" detent feature, to avoid accidental changes. The detent (end of an allen head bolt) would appear to be blocked by this plate.
I cannot see why it wouldn't work on older stock valves without the detent; or, newer ones, if you were willing to drill out the hole to a much larger ID.

Thanks Bob. Wow, this is the first i have heard about this new style fuel selector. Is this an in-house design or just the Andair valve?

It sounds like a nice upgrade, however. I wonder if we are able to retroactively upgrade to it?

Jae

I bought that same **** plate not realizing the hole was too small to clear the stock handle/detent setup. I haven't done it yet, but my plan is to do what Bob suggests and simply drill the center hole out to size. The potential wrinkle is I have yet to mount the selector handle/shaft (don't want to damage the shaft or me while I'm crawling around installing wiring and such) so I haven't verified the handle positions actually match the labels on the plate.

Todd: I think the marking should match. The stock valve has 4 positions (left, right, off, off; going clockwise) 90 degrees apart.

Jae: Anything is possible but the question is how much work. The upgraded design is nearly the same stock Vans valve but I think the shaft has been machined slightly smaller in diameter. There are a number of changes that were made at the same time. The valve is mounted lower, with an extension shaft. The "lift before turning" function is partially incorporated in this extension shaft, with a bolt thru a slot. The lower valve location provides more clearance for the aft heat SCAT. The fuel line cross over was eliminated, and the valve rotated 180 compared to the original. The fuel lines were broken into smaller pieces, with AN fittings (instead of grommets) where they penetrated the tunnel walls.

Come visit me at KLVK and I can show you what it looks like, and then decide if you want to go to the trouble to do a complete retro-fit, or something in-between, or nothing. OR look for an updated plans for that section.

Thanks for the update. It definitely sounds like too much work for me. I think i'll just order the face plate for now! ;) I'll definitely take you up on the offer one day and come to visit.

Jae

Back