What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tanks

Trevor778

Well Known Member
So here's my problem. I'm just finishing the prep for my left tank. all holes are match drilled, de burred and ready to dimple. The problem Im running into is that when I dimple, the hole is becoming over sized and a 3/32 cleco will not hold the skin and rib together. I'm test fitting a rivet every so often to check for correct depth and everything looks good. This is the first I've encountered this problem to date in my project and cant explain why? When I put a cleco through the holes I have not dimpled things hold just fine, am I missing something here?

I used tank dies for dimpling the tanks. I have used them on frame work under other skins as well. I have found that tank dies open up the holes slightly. I have two brands of clecos in my 3/32 cleco bucket WEDGELOCK brand seams to hold where the CLECOLOC brand will pull back through. I bet you have the CLECOLOC brand.

I got my kit through isham. Im not using tank dies and have ordered spare clecos through spruce, maybe I'll try grabbing some clecos from the bottom of the bucket and see what happens...

I'm at the same stage.

One tip I'd heard, to overcome this problem, was to use a nut underneath the cleco to give it extra 'grip'...

Regards, Chris

Back