What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tanks

Trevor778

Well Known Member
I've been fighting the tanks for the last few days, using the "Checkoway method" and having great results. Every time I check tank to leading edge alignment I give Vans an air high 5, It's a c hair from perfect. Im just wondering if everyone else had or is having the same battles with alignment of the tank ribs to the skin? I seem to have to apply a fair amount of pressure to get everything to line up. What happens when I throw a good layer of pro seal to the mix, will I have real troubles getting things to line up? Should I spend more time getting the ribs to line up before final drilling everything?

Thanks in advance.

Trevor

Did you adjust the rib flanges to make sure they're all 90? and flute as necessary to make sure the ribs are flat? Even so, it can be a struggle at first to get everything clecoed together, but once you drill, deburr and dimple it will all go together much easier.

I was amazed at how precise (read REALLY tight) the fit was between the tank ribs and the skin. I recall using a couple of ratchet straps and wood blocks on the aft ends of the ribs to pull them into alignment. In addition I had to use a long scriber between the skin holes and the rib holes to lever them into alignment. However, after that struggle, then drilling, deburring and dimpling, they went together much easier in spite of having a layer of proseal between the surfaces. CAD/CAM is amazing.

I had the same concern as you. Used rachet straps for the initial fitting, and thought there was no way I'd be able to make them fit one at a time when pro-sealing them.

It actually worked out pretty good. Proseal acted like butter and made them go in very easy. Between the proseal and using one cleco in every hole, things lined up perfectly.

The hardest part about the whole thing was the mess!

Luis

Back