What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tanks Sender

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
This may have come up before - if so, please disregard - here is my idea for an interprising person of company.

Our RV-12 has a fuel tank with holes on one side which will allow us to view the actual amount of fuel inside of the tank while airborne.

Some have added the Moeller sp? fuel measuring device which allows you to 'read' the actual amount of fuel that is inside the tank.

When I install my Skyview, I will have an expensive state of the art electronic flight/engine display that does everything but cut and butter my bread. BUT, as far as I know, there is no electronic hook up from the Skyview to an electronic fuel level sending device inside of the fuel tank. Why not???

Surely, it can be done at a reasonable price. All we need is to find the right fuel tank sending device and hook it up to the Skyview - right? I know, it i a 'tall' tank, not unlike those on diesel trucks. Anyone care to grab the ball and run with this idea??? I'd surely purchase such a set up from that enterprising person or company.

This may have come up before - if so, please disregard - here is my idea for an interprising person of company.

Our RV-12 has a fuel tank with holes on one side which will allow us to view the actual amount of fuel inside of the tank while airborne.

Some have added the Moeller sp? fuel measuring device which allows you to 'read' the actual amount of fuel that is inside the tank.

When I install my Skyview, I will have an expensive state of the art electronic flight/engine display that does everything but cut and butter my bread. BUT, as far as I know, there is no electronic hook up from the Skyview to an electronic fuel level sending device inside of the fuel tank. Why not???

Surely, it can be done at a reasonable price. All we need is to find the right fuel tank sending device and hook it up to the Skyview - right? I know, it i a 'tall' tank, not unlike those on diesel trucks. Anyone care to grab the ball and run with this idea??? I'd surely purchase such a set up from that enterprising person or company.

Not sure of your definition of electronic fuel level sending device so maybe you are talking about something else, but the Skyview EFIS does hook up to a fuel level sensor and indicate the fuel level based on what the physical fuel level actually is (Just like a traditional fuel gauge). The only reason the fuel level window is in the tank, is so that a pilot can physically verify the actual fuel level compared to the indicated fuel level on the EFIS indicator (Gauge), just like is traditionally done in any other aircraft that you can open the fuel cap and view the fuel level (not possible with the RV-12 tank design).

In case you were not aware, there is both a fuel level indicator and a fuel computer on the Skyview system. They are for the most part totally independent systems except that the computer does use the fuel level indicator value as a cross check and query's you about resetting the computer values if it senses that fuel has been added.

I have found the sight gage to be pretty worthless. If you use a piece of nylon instrument tubing you can sound the tank during preflight and verify the Dynon level. I marked my sounding tube during level calibration. It's flexible enough to negotiate the filler neck bend and stiff enough to give consistent readings.

This works very well - -

RV-12GasGaugeInFlight100_1308.jpg

Can see while flying, and while filling. Both of these make it worth doing.

John Bender

Joeri

My, now aged airframe kit sits on a shelf unstarted at this time. A few years ago, I began a 'small' do it yourself remodeling job of my house - turned into a 'massive' rebuild that is now almost completed. You know, first things first.

I am preparing for the build at this time.

Maybe I'll be the one (in a year or so) to find a way to put an electronic fuel gauge sender on the 12 tank - one which hooks up to the Skyview electronically. Seems like an improvement to the functionality of the 12 to me. As stated above, the Skyview has the capacity to receive the information.

My, now aged airframe kit sits on a shelf unstarted at this time. A few years ago, I began a 'small' do it yourself remodeling job of my house - turned into a 'massive' rebuild that is now almost completed. You know, first things first.

I am preparing for the build at this time.

Maybe I'll be the one (in a year or so) to find a way to put an electronic fuel gauge sender on the 12 tank - one which hooks up to the Skyview electronically. Seems like an improvement to the functionality of the 12 to me. As stated above, the Skyview has the capacity to receive the information.

Eliot,
I am afraid you are not being very clear about what you think the Skyview can or can't do in an RV-12.

As I said in my other post, on the RV-12, the sky view system does connect to a level sensor inside the fuel tank and displays the actual fuel level on the EMS display page.
Is this not what you want?
The extra Mollier gauge is just a supplement to it that some builders choose to add.

Thank you

All for straightening me out. I did not realize that there was a float and sender unit inside of the tank.

Glad to find out that there is one!!! I expect that I will still add the Moeller sp? unit as a visual back up. Sorry to have caused the confusion - it is obvious that I was the confused one.:eek:

Thanks you all.

Back