What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank

chriscolleen

I'm New Here
Has anyone moved the fuel tank into the wings and built like the other RV's? A cupler would be needed due to the removable wings? Is the RV12 aerobatic at all, ie' loops, rolls? Can you substitute flush riviting in place of the pop rivits? Thanks Chris

Regarding the fuel in the wings and flush rivets, if you build as amateur-built, you can do whatever you like. I wouldn't recommend fuel in the wings if you plan to have them easily removable. It would add quite a bit of weight to the wings and the quick disconnects would be a nightmare; not to mention a considerable forward C/G shift.
Aerobatic...NO!

fuel in wings

Regarding the fuel in the wings and flush rivets, if you build as amateur-built, you can do whatever you like. I wouldn't recommend fuel in the wings if you plan to have them easily removable. It would add quite a bit of weight to the wings and the quick disconnects would be a nightmare; not to mention a considerable forward C/G shift.
Aerobatic...NO!

We have an enterprising fellow here at Leeward Air Ranch who is adamant about using the wings for fuel storage. he is working on putting the fuel in the last two aft wing bays (on both wings)---- this should solve the weight and balance issues. i am not sure this mod is worth all the effort.

BE VERY CAREFUL!

We have an enterprising fellow here at Leeward Air Ranch who is adamant about using the wings for fuel storage. he is working on putting the fuel in the last two aft wing bays (on both wings)---- this should solve the weight and balance issues. i am not sure this mod is worth all the effort.

This will change the entire load factor on the wings and rear spar. They are not designed for this type of loading.
This type of modification will require considerable engineering.

Back