What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Venting

Tacco

Well Known Member
Second flight after an Annual Condition Inspection, slight smell of fuel in the cockpit. I've have had a sunk float before and know what that smells like, don't think that was the problem.

So...I thoroughly checked all connectors, floats were just weighed, and prop is well balanced. No other signs of leaking at carbs.

So, I have a theory......

I had about 19 gal of fuel in the tank. After takeoff I was in a climb up to 6K. Thats when I smelled it and it dissipated afterward.

Is it possible that at the climb angle and "nearly" full fuel, I'm trapping air in the forward top of the tank and when it expands, its forcing fuel overboard? And what I'm smelling is that fuel that collects in the tail cone inside the stabilator faring?

Unfortunately, I had just washed the airplane and the tail cone aft of the vent tube was too clean to hint at a fuel venting event.

Any thoughts?

I had the same problem a few years back, I found the problem in the vent plumbing behind the tank bulkhead. I’ll see if I can find the post.

Is the vent hose still connected to the rivet on the bottom of the fuselage and is the center of the rivet open?

I have seen this vent hose become disconnected.

Brett
Columbus, IN

Back