What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank vent lines, which flaring tool?

RV-Ogler

What flaring tool did you guys use for your vent lines? My A&P buddy offered to loan me his but I’d hate if take and he ended up needing to use it on the job.

Many will work. Just make sure it's a 37deg (versus 45) flare. Think mine is a Rigid Tool brand. Carefully read the product description before ordering. Just sayin'

Use your normal flairing tool like this:

1719588758207.png

In the course of the build, you're going to need to flare a bunch of lines. If possible, borrow the Imperial and the Rolo-Flair and see which you prefer, then buy yourself one of those. I've used both and got better results with the Imperial, but that's just my preference. As the others have said, make sure you get the aircraft version and not the automotive brake line version. Leaking fuel lines are not something you want to mess around with.

Use your normal flairing tool like this:

View attachment 65620
Be careful with the Rolo-Flair. Mine was leaving score marks in the tubing, right out the box, brand new. Only a couple minutes of filing to remove the burr on the die but for what they charge I would have expected better quality control. Otherwise it works fine.
20230123_140126.jpeg

I found the Imperial (similar to the Rigid 377 but without the side handle) more versatile than the Rolo due to it's smaller size. It allowed me to flare inside the wing root for a couple of lines...tight but doable.

Back