What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Sight gauge

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Here's a photo of my fuel tank sight gauge made from plastic strip and decal numbers. After adding several gallons 1 gallon at a time I realized that 0.65 inches vertical equals one gallon. If you rock the airplane you can see the fuel level move up/down past a "window" and easily read the amount of fuel in the tank. Useless in flight, of course. but the numbers do agree with the Dynon readout.

Wayne 120241/143WM
Sightgauge.jpg

Fuel Tank Sight gauge calibration

Here's a photo of my fuel tank sight gauge made from plastic strip and decal numbers. After adding several gallons 1 gallon at a time I realized that 0.65 inches vertical equals one gallon. If you rock the airplane you can see the fuel level move up/down past a "window" and easily read the amount of fuel in the tank. Useless in flight, of course. but the numbers do agree with the Dynon readout.

Wayne 120241/143WM
Sightgauge.jpg

Your figure of .65" = 1 Gallon is precious and a time saver for builders, thanks! I just added calibration in the title to ease search.

Well

They came from the Aviation section of Michael's Arts & Crafts. Actually I was looking for black numbers of that size (1/4 inch if fading memory serves) but those were all they had.
I sprayed on several coats of clear paint to keep the decals from coming off-- some I have for model building) so be sure to test whatever clear you use on a small test strip with a couple of decals to make sure the paint doesn't eat them.

Wayne

Back