What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Sealant Guidance

MartySantic

Well Known Member
Looking for some guidance. On some of the pulled rivets inside the tank a "drip" of sealant formed on the shop head end. Is it better to leave as is, let them set up and cut off any excess, or ??, etc. See the attached picture.

IMG_3192.jpg

Hey Marty,

Do you think you had too much sealant on the rivets before you pulled them?

Could you have thinned it a little?

Can you use acetone to clean the mating surfaces?

I start gooping on the tank in the AM.

Last edited:
Hi Marty, I am not familiar with the RV12 tanks, BUT...

If that is the inside of the tank, I would put a dab of sealent over each and every rivet head while the proseal is still wet after riveting, to ensure each rivet head is sealed on the INSIDE as well. (Thats the way we did it on the RV7 tanks)

If you did not do it during riveting, and the prosel is dry now, then cut those pigtails of with a sharp blade, then pass each rivet head over again with a dab of fresh proseal, sealing every rivit on the inside as well.

My 2c...That's the way I would do it. Better now than later. Building the tanks are such a mess, you want to make 100% sure it is the best you can do it, the first time around, before closing them up.

Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
If that is the inside of the tank, I would put a dab of sealent over each and every rivet head while the proseal is still wet after riveting, to ensure each rivet head is sealed on the INSIDE as well. (Thats the way we did it on the RV7 tanks)

This really should not be necessary on an RV-12...

It is very different from an RV-7 tank in that each rivet can be twirled in sealant before sticking it in the hole, and it has a much lager head surface for the sealant to be trapped under producing the seal.

I will be very surprised if RV-12 builders have leaks around rivets.

Thanks Scott,

Exactly what I am doing. Was hoping it was right and your confirmation was appreciated.

It certainly could not hurt to cover the inside "shop head" of the pulled rivet. Would it?

Last edited:
Back