What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Sealant Cure Time

Frankster13

How long should I wait before adding fuel into a tank that I repaired and used tank sealant?

I mixed and applied it yesterday and we are experiencing mid to upper 70's during the day and lower cool temps overnight. I am planning a minimum of 48 hours but would like to hear from others on this.

My view on it, tank repairs are not fun tasks. Re-do's even less fun. 48hrs might be ok, but I wait minimum 4 days for Proseal repairs.

Last edited:
Did you save a test sample? If you can touch the cured sealant and it doesn't stick to you, or you don't leave a fingerprint in the goop, it should be cured enough. Usually takes 2-3 days in my experience.

The cure time is as stated on the container. Once its cured its ready for use.

In the world of aircraft maintenance, repairs are carried out and the aircraft returned to service as soon as the cure time is up. There's rarely the privilage of waiting "a few days" for anything.

I think it depends on the type proseal you use. If you use the A or B 1/2, it should cure in 1/2 an hour. A is thin, B is thick. I’ve only used the B2 - cures in 2 hours (under stated conditions). I kept a sample and still waited a couple days before putting fuel in it (after testing). No leaks so far after a year flying.

1/2 = working time 1/2 hour, tack free <4 hr, cure 30 hrs
2 = working time 2 hours, tack free <6 hr, cure 48 hrs

Back