What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Screws & Attach Bolts

24Golf

Well Known Member
In the instructions we are told to attach the tank with screws and bolts in every other hole or so before riveting the top skins on nthe wing. Now that the top skins are on, when do we install the rest of the screws and bolts and torque? I assume the tank must have to be removed again when the wings get attached to the fuselage.

Final assembly

I expect I'll put the other screws in on final assembly, perhaps after painting. I plan to paint the screws heads before installing them. The "every other" screws just hold the tank in place well enough to insure the wing holds its shape when riveting the skins on. I put all my bolts in on the tanks brackets. The tanks will not need to come off again when fitting to the fuse - perhaps never come off again, unless you have a leak or damage that requires them to be removed.

That part isn't mentioned...

I don't think the instructions ever talk about that again (at least the 7A instructions didn't).
Having the tanks on or off doesn't really affect fitting the wing to the fuselage, except that the wings are lighter without them :rolleyes: IIRC, I had them off when I put the wings on to drill the rear spar for that reason.
I suggest that you put the tanks on before final assembly, because it is much easier to put the bolts into the 'Z' brackets when the wing is nose down in the wing stand, rather than trying to do that laying on your back under the wing.
I installed the tanks before I stored my wings away when I started building the fuselage, and never had a reason to remove them since.

As soon as my top skin was riveted in place, I bolted those tanks on for good and never looked back.

There is no reason to have the tanks off for wing installation. In fact, the tank has to be in place when you test fit the wing to drill the aft spar hole and the tank support hole.

FYI - it is much easier to get to those bolts with the bottom skin off. I hope to never have to try bolting that thing in place through the access holes.

Thanks

Thanks for the info... this is what we figured, but were unsure since we did not see anything in the plans that said to put in the rest of the bolt.

P&B

Back