What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank repair techique

As I understand it, a lot of people used to use slosh products, and they caused problems later on. Fuel tanks leaks are a pain. I had one, but could reach the area through the filler cap. Two years later, no leak.

Search around on this site for threads on tank leaks. There are ways of putting a VERY slight vacuum in the tank and drawing in a thin sealant. Beyond that, bite the bullet and cut a hole in the back. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but it is better to get it right now.

Bob Kelly

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Hey Mark, welcome to VAF.

Good to have you aboard.

I second the recommendation to stay away from sloshing the tank, the stuff can come loose later in life, and it will go wherever the fuel can take it.

Sounds like it is time for you to learn how to use the search function in this site, there is a lot of past info on fixing leaks.

Good luck.

There are slosh compounds and there are slosh compounds. I used the one that Van recommended on my RV-6 (completed just before the problem was discovered) and true to form, I eventually had to clean it out.

However there is another one, PR-1005-L, that has a proven track record. I'm using it in my bi-plane tanks. The kicker is that it costs $95/pint. It is red in color dries with a rubbery finish.

Back