What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank removal

PabloJ3

Hello everyone,

I have a fuel leak near the root of my RH fuel tank, almost at the spar. I need tips on removing the wing tanks. I got all the screws removed, but am not sure of on which points it attaches to the spar.

Anybody has a step-by-step?

Thanks a lot!

Pablo

You need to obtain access to the plans for the wing. There are screws through the spar that are accessable though the inspection. Pm me your email address and I will send you the drawing

There are 7 points that the tank bolts to the spar, with 3 bolts at each point. One set is at the root where you can get to the bolts from the outside. All of the rest are through the inspection panels.

Hello everyone,

I have a fuel leak near the root of my RH fuel tank, almost at the spar. I need tips on removing the wing tanks. I got all the screws removed, but am not sure of on which points it attaches to the spar.

Anybody has a step-by-step?

Thanks a lot!

Pablo

I had a leak in the same area and it turned out to be a leak from the fuel line fitting where it was screwed into the tank. A little proseal on the fitting solved the issue and was able to be done without removing the tank. May not be the same issue as yours, just something to watch for as the leak really looked like it was coming from the corner of the tank near the spar.

Success!

Hey everyone! Amazing responses, thank you so much. The fuel tank is on the workbench now, waiting for the sealant to cure.

After getting the tank out, what we did was leak test it, identified the leak points (Yes, there was more than one!), cleaned everything up and resealed it. Let's hope it will stay that way.

Any ideas on the common building mistakes that will lead to a fuel leak in the future? I'm guessing some trouble with the preparation of the sealant; maybe not enough oxydizer?

Mike S - Thank you very much! Am having fun already!

CharlieWaffles - (Nice nickname! Hah!) Yes, I guessed it could have been. Just in case I have serviced the fuel lines, fittings and everything.

Bill - Jesse sent me those, but I appreciate it.

Jesse - I got an E-mail with the plans! Thanks!

Back