What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank opps

Sid Lambert

Well Known Member
After finishing up one tank I noticed I had an extra T-410 (nose reinforcement). I simply left it off the outer end rib. The tank is sealed and pressure tested.

I know Van's put it there for a reason but do you guys think I can get away without it? It it for reinforcement for structure or to keep the nose of the rib from moving and causing a leak?

I think I can take about a 1/4" off of it, match drill it on the outside and then put it through the fuel cap and use pop rivets to secure it. This is a pretty big if though.

I plan on calling Van's in the morning but any suggestions are welcome.

Van's says go

I spoke with Van's this morning and they confirmed that the piece is just there to help the tank seal and it would be no problem if left out.

As long as it is the outer rib and not the inner rib.

Sid, none of the RV's had any of the "D" pieces inside the tanks until the mid to late 90's and my understanding is that there were two reasons for providing them. One was that the addition of the interior nose piece is simply a "dam" for reducing the amount of proseal needed to ensure a good seal in the nose area..... and the other was that it made a sensible use og the interior of the stiffener ring material for the root tank ribs.... if you remember, the "D"'s are using the material that would otherwise get thrown out.... frugality.

I have never really heard of a structural significance of the piece.

cl

Back