What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank needs a ground wire!

BigJohn

Well Known Member
This has been discussed before, but I am bringing it to the forefront again for the newer builders. Filling and then offloading the fuel tank is no fun at all. That is what you have to do if your fuel tank sensor does not have a good ground and you fail your first calibration attempt.

Check this old thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=57195&highlight=sender

Check my log and photo: http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=BigJohn&project=639&category=0&log=120814&row=1

John

Mine read 50K ohms

When I tried doing fuel cal I was unable to get a reading.The fuel quantity made no difference. When I drained the tank and checked the resistance it read 50k. I called vans and they said no way. I borrowed a better meter and it read the same. I installed a ground wire and it worked just fine. I have spoken to 2 other builders who had the same issue. Install a ground wire.

John is correct, if you do a good job with tank sealant the fuel quantity sender is not grounded and the single wire can do nothing. I am not sure why Van's has not dealt with this yet as it has been an issue since the first kits finished and is a simple fix, it must be their "Not Invented Here" problem again.

Best regards,
Vern

Ground Wire

The same with us on N1212K. The ground wire made it work perfect and no problems since.:)

So just how picky is the final inspection? Is adding that wire that is not on the original an unauthorized deviation to the plans?

Adding A Ground Wire

So, what is the best method of adding a ground wire, after the tank is built??

Tom

Tom,

Make a wire (I used 18 gauge) about a foot long. Crimp ring terminals to each end - one to fit 8-32 screw, other to fit AN-3 bolt. Remove one screw from sensor mounting ring (see photo in my first post) and replace with clean 8/32 screw with ring terminal . Remove bottom left (looking at the tank) mounting bolt and replace with ring terminal under the bolt. You're done!

I did it before certification (oh no!) and of course inspector never noticed. If he had I would have explained it was necessary to get a working fuel gauge - I think a pretty strong argument!

I have submitted this to Van's as a proposed addition to the plans.

John

Joeri,

I din't have any tank sealant so I just gobbed up the screw with Permatex gasket maker. No leaks.

John

How many have experienced this?

Van's support says there is a very low incidence of this happening. Not trying to start an argument or make this a cause celeb ...... but how many of you have experienced a bad ground to the tank?

Van's told me it was impossible to isolate the sender from the tank, and that I didn't know to read a multiple-meter. Mine was .

Hey BigJohn - -

Happened to me. Did too good a job I guess. I took one screw out and run a wire up to a ground.

John Bender

Reference bad ground to the tank

John,

Add another one to your list. Based upon John Bender's advice, I had to add a ground wire.

Back