What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank leak

Rayh

After several years I have fuel seeping from a pulled tank rivet. I am thinking about selling from the exterior of the tank versus drilling out the rivet to replace and contaminating inside the tank. Problem is, I would use pro seal but don't need the quanity the stuff is sold in. Is there any other products that woud seal the pulled rivet?

As long as you have a fuel filter why worry if you have some contamination, that’s what the fuel filters for. However, I’m sure you have a fuel drain at the bottom of the tank and if need be drain it if it makes you feel better. You can strain the fuel when you drain it or strain it when you pour it back in your tank.

I think Vans and other venders may have small quantity packs for maybe 20 bucks?

Fuel leak

If you are going to seal from the outside then you can try Fast Weld. Make sure you get the one that is for fuel. Used it on car carbs to seal the lead plugs.

I have seen many people (not personal experience) have success using green loctite on weeping/leaking rivets. I don’t know the exact process but know you draw a small vacuum on the tank and it pulls the loctite into the leak.
Good luck

Kurt
I would like to do it from the outside since it is only one rivet. I would hate to have to remove a couple dozen rivets to take the tank apart far enough to seal on the inside. I will look into the Fast Weld that is fuel safe.

We addressed just this kind of leak a few months ago. In Kitplanes Magazine:

https://www.kitplanes.com/weep-no-more/

Folks that have been doing this for a long time all say that the green loc-tite is a temporary fix… do it once and be done with it. I have no knowledge or opinion on using something other than pro-seal, but you should see if there is a builder nearby that might have some on hand, and you can borrow a “dollop” of it…..

My paint is dark grey, so I sealed a rivet from the outside about 6 years ago. I forget what I used to cut the paint around the rivet, but it made a small round cut slighly larger than the rivet. I applied pro-seal and smoothed it to the edge of the paint. You have to look real hard to find it.

Here is a link to the small tube Aircraft Spruce sells. At the time I had an even smaller pack that I think Vans sold, but I dont see it in their store anymore.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/09-38500.php

Back