What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank install

RV7AJeremy

Well Known Member
I am at the point in the build when I need to install the fuel tanks. I have the leading edge assemblies installed on the spar, the directions then say to install the tanks using every other screw and 2 of 3 of the bolts. My question is why not use all the hardware now? Are the fuel tanks removed later in the build? What am I missing? I search and couldn't find the answer.

Thanks everyone.

I can?t give you the why but, in my case I found there was some tweaking to do. I had to drill more screw holes on the top side to fix some pillowing where the leading edge and the tank meet. I would recommend screwing this section down first to check for problems. Others have had issues here too. I had everything torqued down so, I ended up buying new fasteners. Some may find that over kill but, it made me comfortable.

Never pulled mine off...

For what it's worth, once I attached my tanks to the wings they stayed there throughout the build. Once the wings are mated to the fuselage for good there is a significant barrier to the easy access that you will be accustomed to during the build. Delay attaching the wings until you have wrapped up pretty much everything in the cabin. If you end up with a lot of work to be done and the wings are on then taking the tanks off gives quite a bit more room.

Make sure you have adequate gap between your fuel tank skin and the adjacent wing skin. Too little gap here can result in cracked paint later. My paint guy told me 1/16" is good.

I found this out after I arrived at the airport so I pulled the tanks off my 9A, did the rework, then reinstalled. Really, not that hard to do but it would have been better to do it back at home while assembling the wings.

Just sayin'.

Fuel tank "pillowing"

I everyone,

I can?t give you the why but, in my case I found there was some tweaking to do. I had to drill more screw holes on the top side to fix some pillowing where the leading edge and the tank meet. I would recommend screwing this section down first to check for problems. Others have had issues here too. I had everything torqued down so, I ended up buying new fasteners. Some may find that over kill but, it made me comfortable.

I have just installed the tank on and riveted my right wing leading edge and top skins. I have this pillowing as well just like you had on the fuel tank. I don't really want to drill and install more screws there. Are there any other technique to get rid of this?

I guess I will have to remove and reinstall the tank a few times, so that could provide an answer the initial question of this thread.

Alain.

I added shims under the outboard LE skin with great success. I was certain they were about a 1/2" wide and 1 or 2 inches long. I tapered the ends flat to avoid ridges. It worked great.

Back