What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FUEL TANK FLOAT WIRE

craig.roser

Patron
Has anyone reworked their FLOAT WIRE to REV 1. See SECTION 18 FUEL TANK PAGE 18-10 DATE 03/26/21?

My floats appear to stick on FULL when I fill the tanks and release showing more or less accurate when about half empty.

Attachments

• 18-07 REV 1.pdf
    931.9 KB · Views: 14
Well, I did what they said for bending the float wires on an RV-7. Because of the geometry of the tank and where the float is (at the lower end), the float doesn't start moving down until the tank gets around 15 gallons on a 21 gallon tank. While the tank sizes are different between the 7 and 14, I'm guessing the 14 experiences something similar. I calibrated my fuel tank level indications with the Garmin G3X adding 2 gallons at a time, and it's remarkably accurate--after those first six gallons are burned off from a top off.

Depending on what you're using for a fuel level indication and how it was calibrated, your results may differ. But I would think it should show a reasonably accurate fuel level long before it's half empty. Or half full, depending on your personality type.

Well, I did what they said for bending the float wires on an RV-7. Because of the geometry of the tank and where the float is (at the lower end), the float doesn't start moving down until the tank gets around 15 gallons on a 21 gallon tank. While the tank sizes are different between the 7 and 14, I'm guessing the 14 experiences something similar. I calibrated my fuel tank level indications with the Garmin G3X adding 2 gallons at a time, and it's remarkably accurate--after those first six gallons are burned off from a top off.

Depending on what you're using for a fuel level indication and how it was calibrated, your results may differ. But I would think it should show a reasonably accurate fuel level long before it's half empty. Or half full, depending on your personality type.
My plane was built before REV 1 . . . .

Similar to the RV-9A, I won’t get the start of reading from the sensor until about 12-13 gallons. As has been stated, it’s a function of the wing geometry. You can get accuracy from a capacitive sensor and some approximation from the totalizer function.

Has anyone reworked their FLOAT WIRE to REV 1. See SECTION 18 FUEL TANK PAGE 18-10 DATE 03/26/21?

My floats appear to stick on FULL when I fill the tanks and release showing more or less accurate when about half empty.
Mine start getting a reading at 21 gals. on my 14A. Have been calibrated and perform well. Built to plans circa 2018.

Back