What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank float sensor plate...

lostpilot28

Well Known Member
Is not using the rubber gasket a problem for the float sensors? I installed them and put a bead of tank-sealant all the way around the center hole and each of the 6 (or was it 8) screw holes. I also put some sealant on each one of the screw threads and tightened them down.

After a few days went by I found the black rubber gaskets in the bottom of a box. Doh! My uneducated guess is that a sealant-gasket will be fine. Anyone care to confirm my action or educate me otherwise? Thanks!

I think if you search you may find a thread or two about that. I get the impression that lots of people have installed the plates and sensors without gaskets, and no leaks. That's what I'm planning to do as soon as I'm feeling well enough to work on the plane again. My experience with similar installations on automotive fuel tanks has made me very skeptical of gaskets. As in, the gaskets blowing out after a while, no matter how carefully I sealed them and torqued the screws.

I've done many RV tanks with ProSeal only. No gaskets. Never had a problem or leak.

Tank Seal without gasket

I'm finishing my second tank now and I installed my exactly as you described. The Tank pressured tested without leaks and I suspect yous will as well. Tim

Back