What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Breather

aerofurb

Well Known Member
Following on from the fuel cap thread, what to people think to the 'drilled cap' breather set up on the 12?

My first want is some form of locking fuel cap which no doubt can be modified as per the standard fuel cap. Drilling holes in the cap isn't perhaps the best solution technically, especially for aircraft living outside (we don't all have nice, immaculate hangars here in the UK... :(

The cap manufacturer is thinking about producing a breather kit which would be installed on the filler neck and vented outside the fuselage.

Do people think this would be a popular modification or are people content with the standard set up?

Greetings

Jerry,

I spent a couple of years in your general neck of the woods back in the mid '80s stationed at RAF Lakenheath.

Personally, I think the drilled cap works fine. I too was concerned about water entering the tank if left outside, so I solved that problem by not leaving it outside, except for those 12 days a year it doesn't rain here:D.

A simpler solution than a tank vent might be just to put tape on the fuel cap, possibly attached to a "Remove Before Flight" streamer. Unless the vent is ported to the belly you'd still have a chance of water entry.

Steve

Thanks for the reply - it's all a bit quieter in the UK at the moment with most of the air forces based 'elsewhere'...

As for the breather idea, looks like everyone is happy with the standard setup - with Joe's centre (sorry, 'center' ;) ) tank modded vent system noted.

Rotate the cap?

I installed my cap with the vent hole underneath the flap, and the flap rotating upwards. I don't think rain water will get in at this orientation.

That was until I lost my cap (or it was nicked). So I'd be interested in a vented lockable cap. I assume the Andair one isn't suitable.

Cheers...Keith

Just another maybe - -

The Vans RV-12 canopy cover I believe keeps rain out as I recall. Only used it once at OSH, but I think it works ok. Maybe the cover would disappear ? ? ?

John Bender

Hi Keith

I spoke to Andy Phillips about a cap - it would have to be modified as neither theirs nor the Newton caps are 'breathers'.

We may stick with the standard set up for now and consider a separate breather of the filler neck at some stage.

I know what you mean, Dick - keep it simple...!

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel but it would be good on our 12 to have a locking fuel cap and a remote vent as it'll be living outside in the English weather, although covered.

Back