What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Blocks Tailcone Access

Catbird

Well Known Member
I was going to install the fuel tank last night when it finally dawned on me that the F-1207F Baggage Bulkhead Corrugation must be installed beforehand. But when I look back in the tailcone, there's this lonely 9 pin female D-sub connector dangling back there waiting for ... something. The connector is featured on Page 31-12 and is labled EDC-10A. I've been delaying installation of the Baggage Bulkhead Corrugation until the component that connects to the EDC-10A shows up, assuming it's in the avionics package which I don't have.

So my question. Am I missing something? Does the fuel tank installation have to be delayed until after the unknown component has been installed and connected back in the tailcone?

Put it in for now - -

It doesn't take long to remove. You need to install it to get the lines bent to connect up properly, and you need to see how it fits. Takes 15 minutes to take out. Dont put the fill neck in if you want to save some time. My opinion.

John Bender
309.5 hours

I had already installed the tank temporarily to fit up the filler neck to the Fwd Turtle Deck Skin, which was also installed temporarily. What will connect to that D-dub pin back in the tailcone? Is it in the avionics package?

An avionics magnetic heading sensor connects to the D-sub (for the D180), The OAT also connects to it. For Skyview, both the pitot and static lines will connect back there. Since you will need to be inside the tail cone to mount the hardware, leave the fuel tank out until after that. (Unless you are REALLY REALLY skinny.) You can't start the engine without the avionics package anyway since it has the engine instruments AND the ignition switch... You can download the entire avionics section of the kit manual at Vans - But only for the D180. It has been useful to have that even though I am "waiting for Skyview.)

Yes - -

There is a small electrical device, for direction, that hooks up there. Will have to get into the rear at that time. Some have laid the fuse on its side, and they could reach in far enough to get it done. For sure, don't install the side turtledeck skins. They are in the way until the very end.

John Bender

Alright, thanks for the information. Sounds like the Fuel Tank, Baggage Bulkhead Corrugation, Fwd Turtle Deck Skins are going up on the shelf at least until Christmas.

Page 42-18

There are two sets of holes in the F-1208 FUSELAGE FRAME where the F-1208B EDC-10A mounting brackets can be installed: the correct holes and the wrong holes. Do not ask how I discovered that. :D
Joe Gores

While your tank is on the shelf, you may want to confer with the person who will be inspecting your plane. I asked FSDO which was preferable: visibility of right flapperon or tank in final position. They were more interested in seeing the control linkages. You might also want to do some thinking about assuring yourself access to that right flapperon and the tailcone later on...

Jim
flying 66 hours

What about the DAR?

I was going to install the fuel tank last night when it finally dawned on me that the F-1207F Baggage Bulkhead Corrugation must be installed beforehand.

It also dawned on me that if the DAR wants to check anything inside the tailcone, this will require removing the fuel tank which at this point will likely be filled with fuel. Has any builder found himself in this situation? :eek:

It also dawned on me that if the DAR wants to check anything inside the tailcone, this will require removing the fuel tank which at this point will likely be filled with fuel. Has any builder found himself in this situation? :eek:

All of us have found the same. TALK to your DAR and ask him what he prefers. Does he want to hear the engine run. Or, does he want to examine the components in the fuel tank area.

Offer to take plenty of close up pictures inside the tailbone and under the access panel blocked by the fuel tank. My DAR thought that was fine and he wanted to see a taxi test and that the brakes worked at the actual inspection. So I posted those pics in my Facebook album and sent him a public link to that album. He was able to see all of that ahead of time. No problems at all on inspection day! And my inspector liked seeing torque paint and hearing that it was only applied after using the torque wrench as a reminder.

Last edited:
Mel...what do you prefer?

In reference to the questions posed above, what would you suggest? I am probably 3-4 months from calling you for my inspection, but would like to know your thoughts on the subject? I know you recently inspected my 3 friends -12 (Eric C., Jerry, and Jerry Jr.) but I never asked them how you looked at this particular subject.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
It somewhat depends on what you have installed.
I need to see/touch all control connections. If I can do that with the tank in place, then it's OK.
The "touch" part is because you can't "see" whether or not a jam nut is tight.

Thanks, Mel. Since Eric, Jerry, and Jerry Jr. hangar their RV-12 about 100-yards from mine, I will ask them exactly what they did, and match their process precisely.

Hope your eyes are doing better after the surgery!?

Catbird,

I just had the same experience. I would not place the bulkhead yet, and certainly not the tank. You need access to the tailcone to install the ADAHRS module to the ceiling (2 static lines and 2 D-Subs). This will come with your avionics kit. Also some tie wrapping of wires and lines. Then, the big problem is that you can never remove the corrugated bulkhead again once the tank is in without removing the tank. UNLESS you do the mod on Tony T's blog which involves cutting the bulkhead into 2 parts: one that stays in place behind the tank and the other which can be easily removed with the fuel tank in place. I did this and it was relatively simple, and should spare me massive headaches down the road.

JRo
RV-12
N448JR (reserved)

That mod is in the modifications sticky thread. Van's personal RV12 has that mod FWIW.

Back