What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank attach brackets on QB

Mruffatto

Hi Guys,
I've searched and searched and cannot figure out how to dimple the three holes underneath the fuel tank bracket on the fuse. The pic should show a better idea. I've tried my pop rivet style dies and that did not work. I didn't think it would because you are going through the skin and flange on the upright support. There's a screw below that gets countersunk. Should I just countersink? Knife edge?
21nf5lv.jpg

I guess it's different for us SB kit folks. :) I looked back in my web log. For me, the fuselage was upside down and the floor was off, so I was just standing in the cabin looking at the sidewall and the vertical stiffener.

I can't remember if it was clear enough to get a deep jawed squeezer on it or not. In any case, the backup tool that can be used anywhere is your rivet gun (with a set holder for your male dimple die) and a heavy piece of steel (like a bucking bar or better) with a 3/16" hole in it to hold the female die. Light air pressure and a short trigger pull should dimple both just fine.

Just like riveting, if you can reach both sides you can do it yourself, otherwise lure a fellow builder into your lair with the promise of beer.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, counter sink. As you mentioned ther flange does not allow for a proper dimple.

A set holder for dies was on my list of stuff to buy up at Oshkosh. But I forgot it. I guess I will be carefully countersinking.

Back