What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel tank assembly timing

Ben Bruce

I'm New Here
I?m building a 7A in a one bay garage, and have a question on fuel tank assembly timing. For the left wing I have completed all steps for the spar etc, and have fitted the gas tank (with z brackets etc) and have riveted on the outboard leading edge and the top skins on this left wing. It is now time to assemble the gas tank with rivets and fuel tank sealant, but the thought occurred to me that I could now remove the left wing form the jig, and complete the right wing up to this same point, and then assemble both gas tanks at the same time limiting some of the fuss with fuel tank sealant. Am I missing something here that is going to cause me grief if I do this?

lots and lotsa goo!

The only down side will be all that proseal work at one time! Keep in mind the second wing and fuel tank will go together MUCH quicker than the first. Also you won't have to worr about mixing up left and right fuel tank parts.

Of course the upside to doing both tanks at the same time will be "getting it over with" all at once.

I did exactly what you are planning and it worked out great.
When doing pro-seal, only mix up enough to do one rib at a time and it will work out much better for you. I mixed golf ball sized batches, which worked out just about right.

Back