What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Access Panel

dwollen89

Well Known Member
Looking for some thoughts. Was pretty excited to start final assembly on my right fuel tank. As I was finishing up the final prep, I realized that like an idiot, I reversed the end ribs. I cut the tank access hole and riveted the reinforcement ring on the outboard end rib instead of the inboard rib. Ugh...feel like an idiot. :mad: I think Vans sells a cover with no holes in it for those that use the internal fuel gauge sensor. I'm wondering if I just pro sealed a cover over the hole, if I could still use it? I'll reach out to vans support, but wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

Secondly, if I get a new rib, how do you match drill when the skin is already dimpled? Those ribs have two holes that aren't drilled and have to be drilled in place, so that'll make it tough since the skin is dimpled. I've got some ideas, but again looking for advice from the community.

Drilling through dimples

Just my idea.
As far as drilling, I have had excellent results using a short piece of brass tubing. #41 fits perfect. I think it's 1/16". Cut it so the bit will go through the part. Round the end of the brass tube just a little so it nests in the dimple.
Clamp the rib in place. Drill im a random pattern installing clekos till every hole is done. Go back and final drill to size.

I’d get a new rib for the outside. Why have a hole when you don’t need or want one? Just opening yourself to future problems.

The inboard rib I would completely disassemble and start from scratch. Maybe even order all new parts.

The fuel tank doesn’t seem to have a lot of room for error.

You could easily reproduce an access panel (if Vans doesn't have) by acquiring a .063 plate and using the existing plate as the pattern. Proseal & close it just like you would the inboard plate.
You would actually be ahead of the game if you found a later leak in that tank bay!
Build on!

You could easily reproduce an access panel (if Vans doesn't have) by acquiring a .063 plate and using the existing plate as the pattern. Proseal & close it just like you would the inboard plate.
You would actually be ahead of the game if you found a later leak in that tank bay!
Build on!

+1 for this and you can even use .040 thick plate, same as is used for the optional tank access covers in the baffle from Van's. The covers get riveted on with sealed end blind rivets spaced at about 1" and tank sealant. The reinforcing ring can be re-used for the internal rib.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I talked with my tech advisor last night about it and he recommended making a cover out of .063 sheet and calling it an access panel. He said a lot of the earlier RVs had numerous access panels cut into the tanks for sloshing. Additionally, I checked the Vans store and they don't have any ribs in stock. Guessing that it'll be awhile before they come back due to the LCP issues.

Onward and upward...

Back