What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Access panel removal

Hi All,
I've recently tested my second tank and have to reopen it to address a small leak but i'm having issues getting the access panel off,
I've tried plastic pry tools & fishing line but can't quite get under the panel, I don't want to use anything that may damage the aluminium, thoughts?
Cheers
Taran

Hi All,
I've recently tested my second tank and have to reopen it to address a small leak but i'm having issues getting the access panel off,
I've tried plastic pry tools & fishing line but can't quite get under the panel, I don't want to use anything that may damage the aluminium, thoughts?
Cheers
Taran

I had to get mine off to change a sensor a couple years ago. It was dang tough but I ended up getting a razor blade just barely started under. Once something is started it goes a lot easier. Just be careful because if the blade slips...

Try the plastic razor blades you can get from Amazon - thinnestplastic “scrapers” you can buy….

heat is your friend here
I agree with Larry, I start with heat gun in one place, pry the edge up with a sharp hunting knife (blade, not the tip) than change to a plastic wedge & with the heat gun & wedge, work my way around the cover.
A buck a cover, I could afford a pretty nice dinner out!

Hi All,
Cheers
Taran
I have used a safety razor blade -lying flat on the tank, pushed by a piece of wood ( in case the blade breaks ) seemed to work well.

I've had success using a heat gun and an old steak knife to get started, then inserting a thin putty knife/scraper blade.

Took more heat than I expected.

All of the above, but keep wetting the tool with MEK every few seconds. It makes a huge difference.
I chamfered the edge of my replacement covers to assist with getting tools under the cover in the future.

Back