What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank access cover gasket question

Paul 5r4

Well Known Member
I have the QB wings. My question is this... when putting the fuel tank access covers on, is it necessary to put a small line of the tank sealant around each side of the cork gasket supplied? If it does not call for it does it hurt to put some there anyway? The reason I'm asking is on the left wing tank, I did not put any on each side of the gasket, I just put it on the screws as I put each one in. On the right wing, I did put some of the tank sealer on each side of the gasket, (along with the screws), and when I secured this access cover to the wing rib the gasket kind of "mushed" out some. I'm wondering which one I need to fix. Tank sealant on each side of the cork gasket and does it hurt anything???

Thanks in advance...
Paul Gray
Foley, Alabama
RV 7A

From what I have read, the cork gaskets frequently leak. Most people chunk the gasket and use proseal all by itself. Also, replace the screws with socket head screws. I am told it makes it much easier to pull the covers once the wings are on.

Back