What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel System Instructions

westexflyboy

Is it just me, or do the instructions not match the structure on your RV-10 fuel system? The valve attach plate on mine was mounted upside down and much higher than shown, and the plans show a bulkhead pass through fitting to bring the fuel line into the tunnel, but the hole in that location is way too big for the fitting.

Are you going to put in fuel return lines? There are a few threads on here about it. Just do a search on RV-10 fuel systems.

I don't have my plans at the house, but there should not be a fitting in the plans for the fuel lines. The plans call for a continuous run of AL tubing from the fuel tank to the valve. I originally did it that way. But changed to braided lines. The fuel lines go through the big holes with the aid of a big rubber grommet.

Hope this helps. There has been a lot of discussion on the Matronics site about the fuel lines. You may want to search there.

fuel lines

My plans show that the line(s) goes in from the side of the fuse and then into a 90 degree fitting in the tunnel. From there it goes to the valve. Sounds like they have changed the plans over time?!

Revised Plans

OK, now I get it. My QB fuselage was built according to the old plans. My newer plans show the valve in a lower position with an extension, the bracket upside down and backwards from the old plans, and a 90 degree fitting where the fuel line enters the tunnel. The old plans show no fitting, a big rubber grommet where the line enters the tunnel, and the fuel lines anchored to the tunnel walls with cushion clamps.

I am going to rivet an aluminum patch over that big hole, and drill a new hole sized to the fitting so that I can install according to the newer revised plans. This cost me an afternoon of work, but I really like the valve in the lower position considering the improved routing of rear seat heat duct (Section 50).

Before you go to far you really need to decide about return fuel lines. You will end up redoing just about everything. Trust me.

It is not the engine per se that dictates the need of a return line, but the injection setup used.

Of course, you could probably add a return line to any injection, but AFP has it as a standard item.

If using Van's recomended engine (IO-540 D4A5) does one require a return line?
The stock engine uses the Bendix/Precision RSA fuel injection, which does not use a return line. The Airflow Performance can use a return line.

Purge Return Line

If you use a Airflow Fuel injection system. The purge return (1/4") can be teed into one of the tank feed lines. You do not have to run a dedicated return line to the fuel tank. If you have more questions about this subject, give me a call. There seems to still be a lot of misinformation floating around.

Don

Back