What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Strainer Torque

This is not a definitive answer so I'd love to hear one. I was going by the NPT fitting guide (which does not recommend using torque values) and turned 2 turns past finger tight, with Fuel Lube as a sealant. Since the fuel line that attaches there will only have around 10-12 ft. lbs., that should be more than enough torque.

Fuel Lube

Fuel lube is not a sealant. It frequently fails and leaks develope. Permatex aviation sealant is a much better choice. See your local NAPA aviation department.

Gary Specketer

Fuel lube works great in my experience. Keep in mind there's a good chance you're going to need to remove the strainer occasionally.

Thanks

Thanks all. I just placed an order for Fuel Lube and sent a question to Van's about the torque. I'll post here again when I hear back from Van's.

I used fuel lube sealant on every fuel and oil fitting with no leaks so far at 74 hrs. Will let everyone know if I have any. I used Leak-Lock on brake fittings. On torquing my npt's, I ensured a minimum of 3 threads penetration and used my calibrated elbow. If you have a specified torque and can get a torque wrench on it, by all means.

Last night during my first condition inspection, I found fuel stains around the finger filter fittings from what appears to be very slow leaks. I gave them both another quarter turn and will check again soon. They had been assembled with fuel lube.

In some other spots like the oil cooler, I found that teflon-based thread sealant to work quite well. May be same stuff as mentioned above.

BTW, the consistency of fuel lube is great for sticking washers and nuts to your fingers for some of those awkward spots.

Bill "finishing up 3 week condition inspection" Watson

In some other spots like the oil cooler, I found that teflon-based thread sealant to work quite well. May be same stuff as mentioned above.

Can you name some specific product when you refer to teflon-based thread sealant? I'm assuming this is not just that white teflon tape used in household plumbing applications or around the threads of my air-compressor fittings.

Response from Vans

I got a response from Vans on this:

Like all pipe threads, there is no torque value for it. Use some teflon paste thread sealant and snug it down.

Vans​

Back