What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Servo Control Help Needed for H/I Sump

9GT

Well Known Member
Patron
My IO-540 is a model V4A5 which has a horizontal induction Precision servo so I can not use the Vans cable brackets for my control cables. I have not been able to find an off the shelf bracket for this application so I am thinking that I will fabricate my own bracket and sandwich it between the servo and sump flange, extend back to the correct length and use the bulkhead/nut style control cables that Van's suggests. I have looked everywhere for cable measurements but am unable to find a measurement of the bracket attach point of the cable to the control arm. I would like to fabricate the bracket first, then use flexible tubing to represent the control cable. Could someone help me out here and take a measurement for me of theirs and let me know what you have or point me in the right direction? This engine came out of a Maule and I have no idea how they had the cables hooked up. There are no tapped holes under the sump where a bracket would have mounted and where I plan to run mine. Hope these photo's help visualize my situation. Thanks for any help!
DSC09766.jpg

Picture of mixture arm.
DSC09767.jpg

Picture of throttle arm.
DSC09768.jpg

Close up of throttle arm.
DSC09769.jpg

I have Airflow FI, so what I did work work specifically for you, but the concept may.

I ended up using longer studs and fabricating an angle bracket that was secured on the same studs as the fuel controller. It doesn't appear that this is going to be an option for you. It appears that there isn't space after of all the contol arms on your fuel controller.

What Airflow does on a standard implementation is to install a custom bracket that is mounted between the sump and the fuel controller. Don is familiar with Bendix. You may want to give him a call to see if any of his standard brackets will work in your situation. Or you can fabricate a custom part. The only downside is that it will move your fuel contoller about .25" forward.

What are you going to use for an air filter? Looks like Rod Bower's Ram Air unit may work if you have enough space foward of the fuel controller.

bob

Thanks Bob. The V4A5 actually uses bolts that mount the servo instead of studs, so I could use longer bolts as needed for the bracket. I do have plenty of room underneath the sump for the brackets and control cables. Could you possibly measure your bracket for me? If I have the distance from your bracket where the cable passes through at the bulkhead nuts, to the pivot point on your servo control arm where the rod end connects in the full lean position, that will give me the info to start a custom fabrication. If you or anyone else could get that for me,,,,that would be great. Otherwise I will just have to guess at cable length because the servo sits so far forward the standard Van's cables would be way too short.
I REALLY wanted to use Rob's ram air filter set-up but there is no way it will fit without going into the prop. I only have about 10" to work with so I have it narrowed down to 3 custom options at this point. I already hacked the stock snorkel off and opened that area up to help visualize and fabricate the installation. I don't mind fiberglass work at all. After 3000 hours building a Cozy MKIV it should be an EZ fix.

I have Airflow FI, so what I did work work specifically for you, but the concept may.

I ended up using longer studs and fabricating an angle bracket that was secured on the same studs as the fuel controller. It doesn't appear that this is going to be an option for you. It appears that there isn't space after of all the contol arms on your fuel controller.

What Airflow does on a standard implementation is to install a custom bracket that is mounted between the sump and the fuel controller. Don is familiar with Bendix. You may want to give him a call to see if any of his standard brackets will work in your situation. Or you can fabricate a custom part. The only downside is that it will move your fuel contoller about .25" forward.

What are you going to use for an air filter? Looks like Rod Bower's Ram Air unit may work if you have enough space foward of the fuel controller.

bob

Back