What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Sensor Calibration, Resistive

JonJay

Well Known Member
I searched the threads but want to confirm with those using standard senders. I assume that the floats will be stuck to the top of the tank until you burn off some fuel. In my example, it appears to be about five gallons down, then things start indicating.
I have set up conservative at 18 gallons useable in my 6 per side. By luck or circumstance, by indicators show 13.5g when full, then start to move after 5 gallons or so are burned. Then they are more, or less, in sinc with my fuel flow and total as indicated on my EDM.

Correct

I searched the threads but want to confirm with those using standard senders. I assume that the floats will be stuck to the top of the tank until you burn off some fuel.

That's correct. In my -8, the float tops out at 16 gallons in a 21 gallon tank.

I'm told the Van's "standard" round-dial fuel gauges only go up to 16 gallons for this reason, but I've never seen one...

Yep

Five gallons is about right on the -6. I switch tanks every 5 gallons and the gauges are just beginning to move when I switch. My tanks hold 19 gallons usable each. I set my fuel totallizer to 35 gallons upon filling up. This gives me a 3 gallon pad and I switch tanks at 30, 25, 20, etc.

Thanks for the confirmation

I flew for breakfast this am and confirmed that both tanks indication performs as you describe. They are suprisingly accurate when compared to the totalizer. Mine do hold 19 useable, but I set up for 18 and then alarm at 5. So I have more margin but I am fine with that set up. I will probably tweak it down at some point in the future. Thanks again.

Back