What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Sender installation

jim miller

Well Known Member
I am installing new van's fuel senders in my RV3 wing tanks. The gaskets
look like soft rubber and was wondering in I need any sealant on gaskets.
If so what would be best to use.

Thanks
Jim Miller

Your choice

Jim,
You can go either way. Rubber seal alone, proseal only, or a little of both! I am sure that is not the answer you are looking for, but most likely the one you are going to get. You are going to hear from guys who have had luck with the rubber gaskets and will tell you to use only them and it makes removing them so much easier. Then you are going to hear from guys who have been battling leaks and will tell you to trash the gasket and go with proseal.

My left tank (plagued by leak) has the rubber gasket with proseal! Absolutely no leaks what so ever! It is easy to remove, as having the rubber gasket allows you to get a small knife blade in and cut the proseal! Can be removed without removing the tank. (RV-6A)
My right tank (No issues at all) has just the rubber seal. Be careful not to overtighten the screws as you will induce problems.

It is your call, you can't go wrong. If it were me (remember I have been doing tank leak repairs) I would use the gasket and proseal. It will not leak!

Long winded, but there you go!

Dan

Fuel Sending unit

Are there any suggestions out there for a type or brand of sending unit for the original main fuel tank for the RV3.
Any help would be appreciated ...!

Dan
Thanks for the reply. I don't have any proseal so will just go with gasket.
For my other fuel fittings I always use the black non-hardening Permatex
sealant. I may use a light coat of that. I use it to seal threads on the pipe
thread fuel fittings.

Thanks
Jim Miller

Back