What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Selector

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
I am debating on replacing my fuel selector valve with the Andair product. Just looking for some feedback on success with the Vans provided valve and/or opinions on the same. I notice that a lot of folks are using the Andair product.

Thanks
Bill

I installed an Andair in my -10 but am not yet flying. It is an extremely high quality product. The only thing I did not like about it was that there was no positive accident proof detente to keep the selector lever from accidentally being bumped from left to right tanks,,,,just a small internal "click" detente. I fixed that by filling in the lifting pin groove with some JB Weld so now you have to lift the locking button to move from any position.

Go with the Andair

I talked with an RV-6 driver at a fly-in a few years ago that ran into trouble with his stock fuel valve on his first flight. By his own admission, he was "calorically challenged":rolleyes:, so his legs may have been a big larger than average. In any case, when he rotated on his first flight, he gave it right rudder and his leg bumped the fuel valve. With no detente, it went into the off position and starved his engine. He put the plane down on a residential street, as he had insufficient altitude to make it back to the airport. He lived to tell about it, but the plane was pretty well banged up and it was over a year before it flew again.

An isolated incident? Maybe so. But one that's easily prevented. After hearing his story first hand, I bought the Andair valve. And for those reading this that wonder why he didn't just switch the valve back to one of the tanks, he didn't piece together what had happened until later on. It all happened so quickly that he barely had time to pick out a place to put it down.

And my Andair valve has positive detentes; you have to lift a button (pin) to switch the valve. All of the ones I've seen are like that.

Last edited:
Andair fuel selector should be MANDATORY. Do it. They are not expensive by any stretch of the imagination.

End of debate!!!!

Unless there is one on the market that is better.....but none of us have found it yet!

While it is usually an advantage to have a detent... my Andair became physically jammed when an internal ball detent came dislodged. Unable to switch tanks, I couldn't make it home and ended up at an another airport.

I'm sure my experience was an unusual one and I'm not here to bash Andair. In fact, I'd like to note that they stood behind their product and replaced it ASAP at no charge.

The stock fuel selector probably leaves more opportunity for pilot error... but the addition of detents (balls, springs, notches, etc) tends to increase the chance of a mechanical failure. I'm sure that both fuel selectors are sufficiently airworthy and I don't mind flying with either.

I installed the Van's fuel selector in my RV-10, have 330 hours since first flying in July 2006 and have had no problems with the fuel selector. At the time I assembled the fuel system there wasn't much talk of using an Andair or I might have gone that route.

Unless I develop a problem with the Van's fuel selector I don't anticipate a change.

I put the Andair in my -8 when I built it, because the "tractor valve" just didn't seem "airplane-like" to me. I married into an RV-6 that has the ORIGINAL Van's valve, and that's been workign for 20 years. We put a proper handle on it, and I haven't had any problems with the thing, so we're going with the van's valve on the new -3. I love the Andair, just have decided I didn't really need it this time, based on exprience....

Paul

Last edited:
I assume the replacement Andair is the FS20X3 part with the 6" extension...... I notice that the Andair web site will custom build a valve, I have not spoken with Aircraft Spruce yet.

I installed Van's valve

You can't hit it with your leg. It does have internal detents. It also has an allen head set screw in the handle that goes into one of four holes to ensure it is in the right position. It cost $50. I bought an extra and installed all fittings just in case. Takes 15 min to change it away from home. I could buy 8more and still be ahead not counting the extra labor involved to initially install it. I am sure the Andair is very nice, but I wanted to finish in 2 yrs or less with minimal mods.

Andair fuel selector should be MANDATORY. Do it. They are not expensive by any stretch of the imagination.

End of debate!!!!

Unless there is one on the market that is better.....but none of us have found it yet!

Well, not really the end of the debate. I have the Van's selector and couldn't be happier. It's simple, inexpensive and works. I can feel the detents perfectly fine when switching tanks. Like Paul I replaced the handle with a proper pointer, just make sure that you use a pointer with the machined 'D' in it to fit on the Van's valve and you're fine.

FWIW,

The fuel valve part number I used is the FS20x7-T. I also ordered a 6 inch extension which was needed and provides more than enough length to work with. I also ordered two universal joints in case I needed them. (I didn't)

I also ordered the Andair Fuel Pump/Filter Assembly. The pump part number is PX375-TC. The fuel filter part number is FX375-MK and can be screwed directly into the pump. The fuel pump and filter can be ordered as a package on the Andair Site.

Last edited:
And my Andair valve has positive detentes; you have to lift a button (pin) to switch the valve. All of the ones I've seen are like that.

We have the Andair duplex valve (like a DPDT switch for fuel) in the RV-8, since it needs the ECI fuel injection return line switched back to whatever tank you're feeding from. This valve does not require you to lift the button to switch between left and right. You only need to lift the button to switch the valve to the "OFF" position.

It's a very high quality valve, extra smooth operating and you can easily feel it click into place when you switch tanks.

End of debate!!!!

i wonder, can you disassemble the andair and clean it like you can the original?

IIRC, Andy once told me that his valves feed from both tanks when the valve is transitioning from one tank to the other. Thus, if it should jam, you can still fly to your destination.

I started with the Andair valve after a local builder told me the boiler valve that comes with the kit failed at 200 hours and the replacement failed at 200 hours.

If you elect to go with the Van's valve, I suggest you put bulkhead fittings at the first location where the fuel lines pass through some structure. Then make some sort fuel lines to go from the bulkhead fittings to the valve. Then if the Van's valve fails, you can replace it and will only have to make some short fuel lines.

Love Andair valve

I changed to an Andair valve in my -8 about 250 hours ago and could not be happier with it. The original valve was hard to turn and I was afraid I would one day shear the shaft off or it would freeze up. Read the John Denver accident report for some other info along that line.

The only time I have been close to an unplanned off-field landing was with a Bonanza when I could not get the fuel valve to move to the correct position. It was sticky and difficult to operate and impossible to see and I starved the engine while trying to change tanks. That was 15 years and 1000 flying hours ago and I am still cautious with anything but the Andair valve.

I changed to an Andair valve in my -8 about 250 hours ago and could not be happier with it. The original valve was hard to turn and I was afraid I would one day shear the shaft off or it would freeze up. Read the John Denver accident report for some other info along that line

Your old valve was probably the valve Van's used to sale which did have the stiffening problem. The newer valves do not have this problem.

Back