What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Pump Switch

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
I am preparing to put a fuel pump switch. Is there a best, easiest way to do this regarding the wiring changes? I have not checked the back of the fuse panel yet, too happy to be flying :D.
For me the best solution would be to find a switch including the fuse with compatible blades with the fuse so that it could be plugged into the fuse panel at the place of the fuel pump fuse. Kind of a dream solution!

Last edited:
I installed the switch next to the valve. Just cut the red wire running to the pump. Installed an extra wire back to Skyview to indicate the status of the pump (see the red button between the stall and spar indicator).

IMG_2472.JPG

IMG_2477.JPG

Similar to Joeri, but on the vertical bulkhead just below the power outlet. I will typically leave the pump on as intended, but want the ability to isolate it if necessary.

9949459984_b853014cd3.jpg

Be careful, the fuel pump circuit also powers the two cooling fans on the avionics shelf. Turning off the fuel pump at the fuse position would also turn off the cooling fans- and that's not a good thing... :<)

My aircraft doesn't have lights so I spliced the fuel pump wire to the Nav light wire just forward of the flap handle in the central wire bundle. That way the fuel pump has its own switch and fuse. Best of all an inop switch now has a purpose and I didn't have to mess with the control panel.

pump switch

Hi Gagarin737, I am also thinking of installing a switch for the electric fuel pump.( Don't like the idea of it running continuously). Your wire 'back' to the Dynon Skyview, - do you mean 'back' to the ADAHRS box, or 'back' to the Skyview unit on the instrument panel? I confess I am still pretty vague as to how (and about what) the ADAHRS & Skyview itself talk to each other... Thanks, Cheers, DEAN....

The ADAHRS gets pitot, static, OAT, And AOA sensor inputs/signals. It also senses pitch, roll, and yaw like a gyro, via solid state accelerometers, as well as magnetic heading. It is a computer. It takes all these inputs, converts them continuously to a stream of numbers such as altitude, airspeed, DA, etc. etc. etc. and streams them to the Skyview EFIS. Or, something like that...

Last edited:
Hi Gagarin737, I am also thinking of installing a switch for the electric fuel pump.( Don't like the idea of it running continuously). Your wire 'back' to the Dynon Skyview, - do you mean 'back' to the ADAHRS box, or 'back' to the Skyview unit on the instrument panel? I confess I am still pretty vague as to how (and about what) the ADAHRS & Skyview itself talk to each other... Thanks, Cheers, DEAN....

From what I remember.....
When you close the switch the pumps get 12volts (duh..) but I soldered an extra wire to that side of the switch. That wire goes back to the panel and connects to pin 2 of the EMS. Pin 2 is a voltmeter (a standard Skyview pin can only measures volts up to 5V).
Thereafter you can create an extra button on the Skyview display (0-5V is off, 5-12V is on)

I only use the switch on the ground during preflight or when programming the Skyview. In flight I leave the pump on.

Back