What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel pump question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
This might be a dumb question but which fuel pump should I use with an IO-360. I know it is a high pressure, but how high pressure? Is the Airflow the one to use. I live in the town where Airflow is based. South Carolina. Should I order it from Van's all the way across the country? Where should I mount it? Are there alternatives?
Thanks in advance!

Yes their is an alternative I sold my Airflow Performance Pump and bought a new technology pump made by Andair. Eassier to install, have an outrunner brushless motor (no brushes to wear out and no sparks), has internally regulated and bypass.

Last edited:
Many, many folks use the Airflow Performance (AFP) pump. Fuel pressure will be maintained at around 27 PSI using that pump, matching the engine driven pump. You may be able to order it or pick it up directly from AFP, but Vans provides a set of clear instructions/plans for mounting it in the cockpit just in front of and between the two seats for a side-by-side RV. AFP folks are great people to work with either by email or on the phone, and Don there is a frequent contributor to the VAF forums. I recommend their product and you will have a lot of company with their unit.

erich

Yes their is an alternative I sold my Airflow Performance Pump and bought a new technology pump made by Andair, a lot more simple to install and have a brushless motor.

Nice looking motor but its internal "fuel cooled" motor means it will heat fuel that is circulated internally to maintain 25 psi. That may or may not be a plus feature.

Otherwise, like everything else Andair builds, it looks great.

I believe the Van's pump and AFP are built by Airtex, as are the pumps used in the Subby application. They are very similar except some have AN6 fittings, others various sized hose fittings. All will produce about 110 psi and must be pressure regulated. Generally, it is a good idea to circulate by-pass fuel back to the tank to minimize a heat build up although many Lycoming installations have a simple loop ahead to the intake to the pump. It has worked for many years but I feel better sending the fuel back to the tank.

I think the jury is out on Andair's pump with regard to heat.

What kind of IO

Hi Charles,

what kind of fuel injection do you have? I'm asking because the airflow performance, weldon or andair fuel pump only work on benedix-style injection systems if I'm informed correctly. If you use the ECI-System you need a different setup, one with two different fuel pressures.

Kind regards
Mario

Back