What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Pump question

dweyant

Well Known Member
I've got three flights on N96KD now, and as I'm starting to learn the plane she is just a heck of a lot of fun to fly!

As you would expect I've got a number of relatively minor issues that I'm working through.

Garmin has been amazing at helping me get a couple of issues with the G3X resolved (my installation issues). I can't say enough good things about the response time, and how helpful those guys are, even at off hours.

Anyway, my current issue/question is with regards to the electric Fuel pump.

I have the one that vans sells with the Fuel Injection kit. The specs say it should draw a max of 4.0 amps, so I hooked it up to a 5 amp breaker on my VP/X. Unfortunately in reality it is drawing more like 6.5 amps and the VP/X is blowing the breaker on me during flight.

It is going to be a fairly decent pain in the rear to change the pin that the pump is on, but I also want to make sure if these are valid values, or do I possibly have something wrong with the pump?

thanks,

-Dan

I've got three flights on N96KD now, and as I'm starting to learn the plane she is just a heck of a lot of fun to fly!

As you would expect I've got a number of relatively minor issues that I'm working through.

Garmin has been amazing at helping me get a couple of issues with the G3X resolved (my installation issues). I can't say enough good things about the response time, and how helpful those guys are, even at off hours.

Anyway, my current issue/question is with regards to the electric Fuel pump.

I have the one that vans sells with the Fuel Injection kit. The specs say it should draw a max of 4.0 amps, so I hooked it up to a 5 amp breaker on my VP/X. Unfortunately in reality it is drawing more like 6.5 amps and the VP/X is blowing the breaker on me during flight.

It is going to be a fairly decent pain in the rear to change the pin that the pump is on, but I also want to make sure if these are valid values, or do I possibly have something wrong with the pump?

thanks,

-Dan

Have you considered contacting the manufacturer of the pump? They would likely be the most educated regarding whether a higher than specified current draw is an indication of a problem.

A higher than desirable resistance on one or more wire connections for the pump circuit could also cause a slightly higher current draw.

It should be on a 7.5 or 10 amp broker, so you will need a 10Amp circuit for it. It would also work to combine 2 5Amp circuits if that is easier, but you have a limited number of circuits, so getting a 10 would be best.

Back