What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel pump and filter?

JDanno

Well Known Member
Is there any other alternative to buying the electric fuel pump and filter from Van's? Together they are about $500. Ouch! I've checked all the usual suspects (Spruce,Wicks, etc.) and not found anything. Any suggestions? Thanks! Dan

What a coincedence, just the topic I fired up the computer for. I was thinking they would be included in the finishing kit or firewall forward kits for the IO-540? But I guess not. Of coarse I made an order from Van's yesterday.
Ron

Me too!

I guess we are outa luck.
Now if we were using an "alternative engine" (read: auto) then there are several HP fuel pumps that would work. i thought for sure there would be something else we could use.

Assuming you are installing an IO engine. How about the more expensive fuel selector with the tank return port?

Nonsense

The AFP pump is is an automotive pump and there are several pumps form NAPA rated for exactly the same duty...Many filters are available..choose one with a large area and a bronze or wire mesh insert..Avoid paper as it can swell with water contamination.

If you check under my name you will see how I built an electric fuel pump only system for my IO360,...One of those pumps will work fine.

the non return valve comes from a hyrdaulic company and I did look them up on the web but I bought mine from AFP at reasonable cost.

Frank

Weldon

I used a weldon pump and a flowezy filter. Mounted the pump on the firewall under the passenger rudder pedals so I did not have to install the FI pump "box" (which takes up valuable leg room). I just prefer the Weldon fuel pump over the the AFP pump. It will cost you about the same as the AFP install though.

BTW, if anybody need the sheet metal kit to fabricate the FI pump box I still have it.

On Van's site they list the pump and filter but mention only the IO-360. They also make the statment that this system is adequate for all Lycomings. Is this the pump and filter used for an IO-540 ? Does the RV-10 need an install kit and the special return tee?
Thanks Ron

Pumps

The FAP pump will make around 35 to 40 GPM at about 40 psi from memory.

The NAPA pumps I used also make about about 35 GPM at 35 psi approx. They cost $130. Then there is the filter and the pressure relief valve.

an IO 540 would consume a max of around 27GPH so any of these pumps will work.

Frank

Thanks guys! That is exactly what I wanted to hear.
I bought the Andair duplex fuel valve for the quality over the one included in the kit because of all the reports I've read.
I was hoping there was alternatives to the rather expensive fuel pump Van's sell.

diverter valve?

The Van's fuel pump also has a diverter valve that recirculates the unused fuel continuously thru the pump (while its running) to keep it cool. Any source for this item. Nobody using them?

See my post above

I bought mine from AFP. They come fron Parker Hannifin i think..Basically a 3/8ths pressure relief valve (technically a pressure sustaining valve) set to about 35 to 40 psi.

The AFP valves were resonably priced from memory.

Frank

Summit Racing

Summit Racing has electric fuel pumps for EFI use that operate in the correct pressure range. http://www.summitracing.com/

I looked at Holley but their EFI pumps, at least all I could find, are submerged in the tank style. We use a Holley Blue Pump as a charge pump for our diesel injection pump and it had over 2000 hours on it before we had to put a seal kit in it. Holley pumps I know are good but the others at Summit should be good as well, I do not know that they are cheaper than Van's but they are another source.

The submerged style eliminates vapour lock and are quieter than externally mounted pumps. They also have an inlet sock that somehow passes gasoline but not water. I have heard that someone is working on a pump like these for aircraft use but I do not know a source.

Bob Parry

I bought mine from AFP. They come fron Parker Hannifin i think..Basically a 3/8ths pressure relief valve (technically a pressure sustaining valve) set to about 35 to 40 psi.

The AFP valves were reasonably priced from memory.

Frank

Listers,
There are actually TWO valves mounted on the manifold. Both are REQUIRED for proper operation. The gold colored valve is a one way check valve. The check valve is open when the electric aux. pump is not running. It allows the engine's mechanical pump to draw directly from the fuel tanks. When the electric aux pump is engaged, the pressure in the manifold causes the check valve to close. Once the check valve closes, the electric aux pump's output is forced through the manifold towards the mechanical fuel pump's inlet. When the electric aux pump is engaged, it can create up to 100 psi of fuel pressure. This is to much for the Bendix (aka Precision) fuel injection system. The blue valve on the manifold is the fuel pressure regulation valve for the aux fuel pump. It is made by Kepner Valve. It is designed to open at 25 psi (the desired fuel pressure for the system). Any excess fuel (and excess pressure) is vented by this blue valve back into the intake loop of the electric aux pump.
Charlie Kuss

You need more than just an electric pump!

Summit Racing has electric fuel pumps for EFI use that operate in the correct pressure range. http://www.summitracing.com/

I looked at Holley but their EFI pumps, at least all I could find, are submerged in the tank style. We use a Holley Blue Pump as a charge pump for our diesel injection pump and it had over 2000 hours on it before we had to put a seal kit in it. Holley pumps I know are good but the others at Summit should be good as well, I do not know that they are cheaper than Van's but they are another source.

The submerged style eliminates vapour lock and are quieter than externally mounted pumps. They also have an inlet sock that somehow passes gasoline but not water. I have heard that someone is working on a pump like these for aircraft use but I do not know a source.

Bob Parry

Bob,
While automotive aftermarket pumps will easily work for this application, they will all NEED a manifold/check valve/fuel pressure valve (like that supplied on the Airflow Performance Pump Assembly sold by Vans) or an equivilant to work on a Lycoming mechanical fuel injection system. The Bendix/Airflow Performance systems operate in the 25 psi range. Most automotive EFI pumps will generate up to 100 psi. EFI systems have the pressure regulation/relief valve up in the fuel injector manifold, NOT as part of the fuel pump.
Charlie Kuss

Listers,
There are actually TWO valves mounted on the manifold. Both are REQUIRED for proper operation. The gold colored valve is a one way check valve. The check valve is open when the electric aux. pump is not running. It allows the engine's mechanical pump to draw directly from the fuel tanks. When the electric aux pump is engaged, the pressure in the manifold causes the check valve to close. Once the check valve closes, the electric aux pump's output is forced through the manifold towards the mechanical fuel pump's inlet. When the electric aux pump is engaged, it can create up to 100 psi of fuel pressure. This is to much for the Bendix (aka Precision) fuel injection system. The blue valve on the manifold is the fuel pressure regulation valve for the aux fuel pump. It is made by Kepner Valve. It is designed to open at 25 psi (the desired fuel pressure for the system). Any excess fuel (and excess pressure) is vented by this blue valve back into the intake loop of the electric aux pump.
Charlie Kuss

Correct..in my experience the Blue valve actually makes closer to 35 or 40psi.

You could also use a an Andair non return valve in place of the gold coloured one..I use two of these for my wingroot ony electric pump system.

Frank

Correct..in my experience the Blue valve actually makes closer to 35 or 40psi.

You could also use a an Andair non return valve in place of the gold coloured one..I use two of these for my wingroot ony electric pump system.

Frank

Frank,
Do the Andair valves have a hinged "flapper" plate inside? Those blue pressure regulator valves are made by Kepner Products. The part number lists the relief pressure as 25 psi. However, I suspect that may be when the start to open, rather than when they are fully open. Either way, those Carter fuel pumps (originally used on 75 to 79 Cadillac Eldorados with EFI) produce an incredible amount of volume. I suspect it's the pump's capacity more than anything that raises the fuel pressure.
Charlie Kuss

Could well be

Not sure what my pumps come from..RWS was using them and they are a NAPA part number..On the bench they made about 35GPH..So your right there is a balance between flown and pressure so thats where the 35 to 40 is coming from.

As to the Andair I suspect its a spring loaded check from looking at the outside..But it a very weak spring, I know cracking pressures of 1/3rd psi are quite comon so is uspect this is what it is.

Frank

Here's a pump NOT to use...

I rolled my own also. I originally used a Bosch pump that was stock for a Porsche Turbo (left over from my GTO EFI project) along with a modified automotive EFI bypass pressure regulator (I cut the top off and made a new cap with a set screw) and an Andair check valve (available from Van's), plus a nice Parker teflon ball valve I had left over from yet another project for my fuel selector.

Well, the Bosch pump pumped so much volume that it cavitated while it ran, I assume because of the relatively long runs of tubing on the suction side of the pump. I knew it cavitated from the sound it made.

I did some digging on the net and figured out what Airflow Perf uses for a pump (It's an Airtex universal replacement for a 76-80 Cadillac Seville, among others) and substituted that for the Porsche pump. However, Airflow Perf makes a special AN -6 flare adapter that screws on the suction side of the pump that I had to get from them, and that's required to make this work in our application.

The Airtex pump works just fine, as does the rest of my fuel system. However, considering the labor I have in this, in hindsight I should have just bought the Airflow Perf setup from Van's...

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, flying

Back