What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel pressure nominal for O-320

flightlogic

Well Known Member
Patron
On my last leg home with the RV-9A, I had to climb to 10K due to WX. This plane has been at sea level since built 7 yrs. ago. The fuel pressure dropped twice to 1.9 PSI. I ran the boost pump and it returned to about 6 PSI. For the last half hour enroute it kept normal pressure without the electric pump. What should my next step be to keep things safe? Thanks any and all who respond.

Check the TCDS for the engine. I recall 0.5 - 8 psi as acceptable. I recall mine running down pretty low at altitude and other various times. Since converting to FI, I've purged that memory.

Very common, and nothing to worry about unless you have symptoms which might indicate a problem (surging engine, for instance).

Lycoming recommends a minimum of 0.5 psi, so 1.9 is not an issue.

If you use the search feature of this page you will find numerous examples of people asking about this.

Thanks for very quick replies. Now I feel better. When you had 6 and then you have less than 2, it gets your attention. Not to mention the Dynon was programmed for a yellow caution below 2 PSI. The alert was startling.
Will check the specs and confirm, but for now.... thanks much.

Back