What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Pressure Indication - ECI

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
I am wondering whether there is a fuel pressure indication required in the cockpit for the ECI Fuel Injection System. The manual doesn?t say anything about it and the system is very similar to the Continental injection system. On certified airplanes like the F-33A with a Conti engine there is no fuel pressure indication except the fuel flow indicator which actually senses fuel pressure.
So question is for the ECI-Guys: Do you have a fuel pressure indication and if so where do you have the pickup ??

The RV-8 in my avatar (ECI Titan IO-360 w/ ECI fuel injection) has both the fuel pressure and fuel flow sensors in between the mechanical pump/vapor separator and the throttle body. The sensors are part of a Dynon D-120 EMS system.

Funny you mention the Beech F-33A. The fellow who helped us calibrate the ECI system owns a Debonair, and he fabricated his own double mechanical fuel pressure gauge contraption to calibrate the Continental injection systems, and used it to calibrate the ECI system and it worked perfectly. Until it was calibrated properly, the engine was very unhappy in a big way.

This makes sense and so you have pressure indication of unmetered fuel which could be a good thing troubleshooting when something goes wrong.

Did you install the pressure pickup according any manual or just followed common sense?

We just mounted the pressure sensor in the Vans-supplied manifold that bolts onto the firewall, and ran a pre-fabricated stainless steel & teflon hose from a T-fitting near the fuel flow transducer up to the manifold. That hose has a tiny orifice fitting in one end so that in case the pressure sensor springs a leak, it will seriously limit the volume of fuel pumped to it at high pressure, to help keep the resulting engine fire smaller. I added an extra ground wire to a stainless steel "breeze clamp" that goes around the body of the fuel pressure sensor too since these sensors with the Dynon system are notorious for false high readings if the electrical ground connection isn't perfect.

Back