What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel pressure dips, hot fuel.

DCBrown198

Patron
Yesterday I took off from south Texas in a -10 that had sat in the hot sun all day. The airframe was hot, and so was the fuel in the tanks I suppose.

I topped off the tanks with 20 gallons of fuel from a fuel truck that had sun baked fuel in it as well.

My tunnel gets warm like many -10s.

For the first time ever my Dynon announced “fuel pressure” to me a couple of times during climb-out. By the time I looked at the pressure it had returned to normal. As I watched the pressure it would occasionally drop and then return to normal (elec fuel pump off).

Switching tanks seemed to remedy this for a bit, but then I got another pressure drop from the other tank as well.

After some time in 52 degree cool air in cruise the fuel pressure stayed rock solid for the remainder of the flight.

Is my situation uncommon or has it been observed by others on really hot days with hot avgas in the tanks? A little percolation happening in the line as the engine driven pump pulls the fuel towards it?

David

I’m assuming Avgas with mechanical FI; then you’re on track to the right cause. The first action (that time and every time) would be to turn the boost pump on and see the results. You may have been dancing closer to the edge of the cliff than you realized.

As for temporary items/approach, make sure your fuel filters are clean. Longer term solutions are numerous.

Back