What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Pressure Alarm at 0.7 psig - Not Good!

MartySantic

Well Known Member
I have been troubleshooting a fuel pressure issue and a potential fuel pump problem. I would like to pass the following with regard to the LOW FUEL PRESSURE alarm point entered by Van's in the D-180.

In the locked settings file, Van's changed the low fuel pressure alarm point to 0.7 psig in I believe firmware version 5.3. Previous to this change the alarm point value was 2.1 or 2.2 psig.

In my opinion, a value of 0.7 psig is a BAD choice. First, if the engine driven fuel pump starts to falter, you will NOT receive a low fuel pressure alarm. The electric fuel pump which is always running will develop at least 1.0 psig. Second, fuel pressure is not indicated on the main screen. As such, the pilot would never know there is a fuel pressure issue.

I have changed the low fuel pressure alarm point to 2.2 psig in the D-180. Have sent this item to Van's to rethink the logic here.

You are alerted via both visible and audible alarms

Second, fuel pressure is not indicated on the main screen. As such, the pilot would never know there is a fuel pressure issue.
I agree that 0.7psi is too low for the alarm set point.
Below is a quote from the D-180 user manual:
Any time a built-in or preconfigured alarm set point is exceeded, you are alerted via both visible and audible (if connected) alarms.
A red alarm bar appears at the bottom of the screen with a message identifying the out of range measurement
Below the alarm bar, the alarm menu gives you options for what to do next.
If the alarming measurement is not displayed on your current screen, or is available on a page which displays it better, a SHOW PAGE button is included in the alarm menu.
See page 8-1 of the FlightDEK-D180 Pilot’s User Guide for more details.
Joe Gores

Last edited:
Make it easier to view the fuel pressure on D-180

You can change the page order to make it easier to view the fuel pressure with just one push of the right button, then push the left button to go back to the main page. Here is how:
Press and hold the right button.
Press SETUP
Press ORDER
Press the DOWN button to select FUEL
Press the MV UP button to move FUEL up to the #2 spot just below EMS
Press the back button repeatedly to exit
Joe Gores

Back