What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel pickup safety wire

avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Doing a 9A QB. Saw the safety bulletin. My fuel pickups and anti-rotation brackets are NOT installed so I will be doing that. Would like to see photos of how anyone who has performed the safety wiring to the antirotation bracket or how folks have completed this task. All help appreciated.

Mine are held with Proseal, not wire.

I dont know if this would help. Take a look. Click on the pictures and they get larger.

Its a -4 not a -9 but the same tank setup.

Good luck!

One of the RVators this year (one of the first 2-3 issues) had a write up from Andy Karmy that described and showed the process. I haven't followed his instructions yet to know if they are perfect, but it should be a good starting point nonetheless. Hope this helps.

How I did mine

Here is how I safety wired mine.
060917k.jpg

I used the SB from Van's website as a guide from Van's website
http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/sb06-2-23.pdf

When did you buy your wings? I received mine two months ago. The new one do not use the safetywire method, they use a "star" shaped anti-rotation bracket that keeps the right angle fitting from spinning and the fuel pickup fitting from turning.

jlfernan said:
The new one do not use the safetywire method, they use a "star" shaped anti-rotation bracket.

Can anybody post a picture of this? I wonder which is easier to add--the star-shaped anti-rotation bracket or the safety wire?

Safety wire

I received my 9A wing kit on July 20th. Mine came with the star washer. I looked at it and looked at the SB which describes the safety wire technique...

You gotta admit, the star washer looks kinda rinky dink (technical term for "flimsy"). The safety wire technique leaves NO chance for the nut to loosen. I guess, if you were the paranoid type, you could use the star washer AND safety wire...

Unfortunately I don't have a photo, mine are already installed and I forgot to take one during the process. The toughest part is you have to position the pickup tube first, then torque it. The problem is that with the tube and it's fittings in the way, it's difficult to get a squeezer in there for the rivets. I resorted to using two flat dies and squeezing the rivets that way.

Back