What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel line sealant

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
Here is hopefully an easy question.

What is a good product for sealing the AN fittings on my fuel and vent lines?

Reading in between the line here... You must have some negative experience with ez turn to speak of? And I'm not talking inadvertent application to the flared portion of a fitting.

Yea I've used it, doesn't work at sealing threads, and it makes a sticky mess.

I thought the proper way to seal flared fittings was with torque only and that it was only the tapered fittings that benefitted from sealant...typically the teflon stuff...:confused:

If you have a properly torqued flared fitting that's leaking shouldn't you suspect cracks in the flare?

I have used fuel lube/ EZTurn as a thread lubricant in fuel/oil lines but not as a sealant.

Walt.....thought I'd pick up some of the Tite Seal since I'm going to re-do all my fuel lines on my 6A, but noticed there is a "Light Weight" and a "Medium Weight". However; there is no description on the difference. Which would you recommend?

The light weight is what you want.

As others have indicated, sealant is only used on the taper pipe theads, never on the flare/coupling/sleeve/nut assy.

I read Walt's recommendation for Titeseal "medium" a few years ago and bought this for my project.
Now flying with no leaks.
I believe everyone was talking about using the sealer on the NPT fitting and not using sealer on the flare. That is a no-no.

Tite Seal is much better.. fuel lube must be good for something, I'm just not sure what that is :confused:

I've found fuel lube to be indispensible as a temporary sort of adhesive for holding a washer or nut to a finger when placing it upside-down or in an area with restricted access. But that's about it.

Loctite 567 and Permatex #2 have worked quite well for me on tapered pipe threads.

I've been using Permatex #2 for over 50 years on tapered pipe threads.
Never had a problem.

.. fuel lube must be good for something, I'm just not sure what that is :confused:
/QUOTE]

I use fuel lube as a gasket dressing and have great luck with it for that. But some put their gaskets on dry and have success so what do I know. As others mentioned, it works great to hold together washers and nut stacks in hard to reach places when I run out of boogers.
10op3bc.jpg

So do I understand correctly? The sealant goes on the threads only but NOT on the flare, fitting, etc?

I found information for flaring the tubing, but nothing about the proper way to seal the fitting for the permanent install. Is there a publication on this or instructional video, etc? Sorry, no active EAA chapter here and I often have to resort to the web for advice.......and usually find very good advice.

Thanks for all of the input!

What is a "thread lubricant" if not used for sealing?

Well, I've used it effectively to lube the threads to make threading smoother and reduce the likelihood of galling. I have also found that it is innefective as a sealant in some cases such as pipe threads. In those cases it was still very effective as a lubricant but not so much as a sealant.

My experience only and I know others swear by it as a sealant...

Overtightening the flares.

As a newbie, I quickly learned that overtightening flared fittings caused leaks and a builder friend told me to tighten the nut until it barely bottomed then go one more flat. After that I had zero leaks.

I also hate those soft "repair" washers Spruce sells. Best to just redo the flare or make a new line.

Back