What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Line Plumbing Principles

SMO

Well Known Member
Friend
I am going to redo the fuel lines from the selector to the firewall. What are the best practices - where to put the filter, where to put the boost pump, routing of fuel lines, etc.?

RV-4

This is on the RV-4. I am installing a Dynon EMS and need to plumb in the fuel flow transducer. I will try to be more specific.

The lines are currently configured to come from the selector to a tee (T1). One branch goes to the boost pump. The other branch goes through the filter and to a second tee (T2).

The outlet from the pump goes through what may be a check valve (haven't disassembled it yet) and into T2. T2 then goes to the firewall, gascolator, and engine fuel pump.

It appears that when using the boost pump the filter would be bypassed. Not sure this is good practice although I can understand if the problem is a plugged filter then this design keeps you going. Any comments on this?

The filter is mounted higher than the pump. Is there a reason to mount it high?

Selector plumbing

Don?t know if it helps, but, the engine on my 4 is out of a twin Comanche, I simply copied what Piper used for their fuel system. My electric pump was from the Comanche, so it has an internal bypass and is in the tunnel just forward of the fuel selector. The system you buy from Van?s has a pressure bypass external. The fuel flow transducer is on the fire wall past the gascolator just prior to the mechanical fuel pump. If I were to put an in-line filter in, I would install it just after the boost pump and before it goes through the firewall. The battery is in the baggage compartment, so there is room in the center tunnel. The engine is an IO320-B1A, beem flying sence 1993.

Hope this helps

Randy

Back