What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Line Plumbing - Pipe Sealant

gblwy

Well Known Member
I'm about to start Section 28. Should I use some sort of pipe sealant for the unions? If so what?

Thanks...Keith

No need for pipe sealant on flair fittings or unions. I use a paste pipe sealant with Teflon ( No Teflon tape) and only on the tapered pipe threads. Use it sparingly, alittle goes a long way on the threads.

Last edited:
QUESTION

JUST TO KNOW.

WHY NOT (TEFLON TAPE) LARRY?
HOW ABOUT BOELUBE PASTE?

GARY

Last edited:
Or Fuel Lube. I bought a can, which is probably a lifetime supply and then some. It has the consistency of earwax, which is what the friend who used it to help seal the lines passing through his firewall in a Lancair PropJet calls it. I used it on NPT fittings and the screws for sender and inspection plate on my tanks (as well as a thin coat on the cork). DON'T use it on engine fittings (Superior recommended another sealant, which escapes my memory right now, but is intended for high heat applications). I think ACS is selling the stuff again but a can is many times too much for a single project; see if you can find a local A&P or builder who can supply you with what they have instead of getting a whole can for yourself.

JUST TO KNOW.

WHY NOT (TEFLON TAPE) MARTY?

GARY

Hi Gary,

It is because if you have some of the tape that extends into the hole it can someday break loose and then it is a relatively large piece of debris in the fuel system that can block screens or the like.

Best regards,
Vern

Teflon Tape?

Thanks, guys. I though teflon tape dissolved in mogas?

Cheers...Keith

Back