What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel line penetration question

shiney

Well Known Member
My QB fuse came with the doubler already installed for the carb engine fuel pump. Becuase my engine is injected it requires the airflow pump and therefore this mounting plate doubler is obsolete. Can I drill this plate to penetrate the firewall for the fuel line or should I stick with the position that the plans call for?

Shiney:)

I have exactly the same question. Do the finishing kit plans show the injection fuel line penetration point ? I can't find it on my fuse plans, and I don't yet have the finish kit.

I just looked at my finishing kit plans (9A) and there is nothing about fuel lines that I can find. DWG 15 (Firewall) doesn't even show where the FI line should go. I would presume (hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that it would be fine to drill the plate for a fuel line penetration point. Nothing is shown on the Airflow Performance pump installation guide either.

greg

No, nothing on the airflow plans or the Vans plans that I can see, any chance of any help from anyone?

The fuel line F/W penetrations are on a firewall forward plan sheet. The IO has a specific penetration point as well as a doubler. I don't recommend you wing this as the rest of the FWF parts are designed around each other. The IO fuel system is shown on OP-32.

For now, you can close up the mount holes on the pump doubler as they are not used on the IO. I installed AN3-3 bolts to close them. On an A model, you need to grind down the anchor nut on the bottom hole as it will impinge upon the engine mount.

There are some threads on this, you may be able to search for one. Some folks opt to incorporate the gascolator with the IO system. To do this, use the preformed VA-161 doubler for the carb version along with the gascolator. The fule lines may need to be adjusted.

Jekyll

7A, IO-360

PS: I have a gascolator and VA-161 for sale. I forgot to delete them from the O-360 FWF I bought for a verticle draft IO.

Back