What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Line Overhaul

SquawkVFR

Background: I found a fuel leak. I posted a thread, which can be found here for context. Got lots of great feedback and began the process of dissassembly and inspection.

Update:

The T-708 (tank access plate) has been removed.
The existing fuel line between the tank and fuselage as well as the line between the fuel selector valve and the fuselage have been removed.

Situation:

1. There is residual proseal on T-708 (tank access plate) and the inboard fuel tank rib. Any tips on cleaning these surfaces prior to re-seal, or should I just lay new proseal over the existing mess? (pics below)
  2. There is an air gap between F-7101-R (gear attach web) and F-770 (FWD side skin). In order to use the (per-plans) grommet, I need to step-drill through both of these parts from ~1/2" to 1" to accommodate the grommet. I can vacuum out the chips inside and outside the fuselage, but there is no way to remove the chips that fall into the airgap between the two. How would you deal with this? (pic below)
  3. The previous fuel line was run incorrectly; however, WD-721-R (landing gear mount) presents a dillemma in terms of running a new fuel line. How do I bend around this? (pics below)
  4. Although some users advised against it, out of curiosity, I bent myself a loop of rigid tubing to go between the firewall and the fuel tank. Should I just do this instad of trying to make one continuous run of fuel line from the fuel selector valve to the fuel tank? (pics below).
  5. The anti-rotation bracket that was attached to the tank access plate is not per the plans. Should I re-use what I have or fab a new one per the plans? (pics below).
IMG_9388.JPGIMG_9389.JPGIMG_9396.JPGIMG_9397.JPGIMG_9399.JPGIMG_9400.JPGIMG_9401.JPGIMG_9402.JPGIMG_9406.JPGIMG_9405.JPG

I see Teflon tape on the npts.
If I was you I’d at least closely scrutinize every single element of that fuel system. I’d prob take the entire fuel system out and start from scratch.
That’s such an egregious no no I would never be comfortable without double checking everything.
I see you mentioned that this plane had had several recent pre-buys.
They need to be called out.

Last edited:
Back