What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel line length from side of fuselage to tank connector?

Triumph1974

Well Known Member
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone has an exact measurement of how long their alum. fuel line coming out of the side of the fuselage is to the tank so I can trim my lines before putting on the wing to drill up the rear spar? Also - it seems to be to short of a run to put some service loops in this area.....has anyone done that, or is everyone basically running a straight line into the tank?

Any advice would be helpful - Thanks, Paul

You're Asking for Trouble

No matter what others may report, you may ultimately need something slightly more or less to account for bending radius and center, and misalignment that isn't apparent until you mate the wings. Form the tubes, fit them to the selector, lop 'em off 4 or more inches beyond the fuse, remove, and stash until the wings go on.

John Siebold

A few folks have installed their fuel filters under the wing root skin one per wing.
It make a lot cleaner deal when inspecting the fuel filters and not draining the fuel inside the cockpit.
I ended up leaving my lines about 1 inch outside the fuselage and like wise on the wing. Then made a loop horizontal to fasten the wing and fuselage together. In the future if I want wing mounted fuel filters it will be easy to install but for now I am using the Van's filter with an ande fuel selector and it works well.

I have checked the fuel filter after 1 hour of engine time and then again at 5 hours for any trash in the tanks. One speck found at 1 hour and clean as a whistle at 5. Will pull it again at 100 hours only 25 hours away.

Jack

I know that David Sunberg's RV7a had the filters in the wing root, he sold the aircraft to some one in Kansas, I will try to contact him to see if he has any pictures

Jack

Back